MFA Overnight Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

The Museum of Fine Arts kept its doors open all night this past Saturday for its first ever MFA Overnight, a 15-hour party celebrating contemporary art and artists through the museum’s season-long #mfaNOW campaign.

The overnight lured crowds of Bostonians into the museum with live music, food trucks, and activities around the clock (live figure drawing, collaging, and lawn games, to name a few) but the event’s main focus was to showcase the MFA’s newest exhibits: “UH-OH: Francis Stark 1991-2015”; “Christian Marclay: The Clock” and “Terry Winters: The Structure of Things.” While the rest of the museum besides the Lind Family Wing for Contemporary Art was closed, between Stark’s varying and vibrant means of storytelling and Winters’ abstract geometric prints and drawings, eyes were never bored of the pieces they were offered.

The event (which boasted 3,200 attendees and 12,000 interested on Facebook) kept a steady stream of eager partygoers waiting for their turn inside down the street all night long. While they waited, MerkThose entertained the outdoor crowds with their live paintings.

What’s a party without a party favor? The museum employed a vintage cigarette vending machine to vend miniature art pieces to guests for just $5.

Didn’t make it over to the museum this time? Don’t worry; the MFA will be hosting another Overnight (College Edition!) on October 14.