Meet the Staff: Genesis Tan ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Year: 2018

Hometown: Fair Lawn, NJ

Major: Neuroscience

Her Campus: Why did you decide to go to Brandeis?

Genesis Tan: I decided to come to Brandeis because I heard the sciences were really great here. But mainly Brandeis was the exact size school I was looking for. The faculty to student ratio really appealed to me. On top of all of that, when I visited during admitted students day, I felt like I was in a safe, open-minded environment. Everyone was so nice.

HC: How did you first get involved with Her Campus?

GT: I first got involved with Her Campus after seeing an article that featured one of my friends. I actually didn’t know about this club until I saw it so I decided to email a member of the E-board to see how I could get involved.

HC: What else are you involved in on campus?

GT: I am the SACNAS first year representative. SACNAS stands for Society for the Advancement of Hispanics and Native Americans in the Sciences. I’m also a part of the marketing team for a new club on campus called Spoon University. And I’m a member of the sign language club.

HC: Why do you write for Her Campus?

GT: I love writing. And for a while I was looking for a club where I would have the “freedom” to write whatever I wanted. Her Campus gave me the opportunity to express myself freely as well as continuing to develop my love for writing.

HC: What is your favorite part about Brandeis?

GT: At Brandeis anyone can get involved with anything really easily. A lot of times it’s really just a matter of asking. For example, if you want to get involved in research at Brandeis, a lot of times all you have to do is email a professor or stop by their office hours and ask. Or if you want to join a club, you can just show up and everyone is really inviting. That’s definitely my favorite part about Brandeis.

HC: What is something you wish you could’ve done at campus that you ended up not doing?

GT: I wish I could’ve done boxing and Krav Maga. I also wanted to go to pole dancing and belly dancing but I never got to it. But I guess I’ll just do it all next year!

HC: What do you want to do after Brandeis?

GT: I haven’t exactly decided what I’ll be doing after I graduate but I have some ideas. I’m taking pre-med requirements to keep the medical school option open but I have other plans too. One of my plans is to go to graduate school to do research. Maybe get a PhD in Neuroscience or Neuropsychology. But if all of that doesn’t work out I’ll be applying to the FBI Academy after I graduate and hopefully working for the Behavioral Analysis Unit in the future.

Fun Facts

Celebrity Crush: Matthew Gray Gubler

Favorite late night snack: Doritos

Favorite place on campus: Chapel’s Field

I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.