Katie Jacobs ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Year: 2016

Hometown: The great city of Chicago, Illinois.

Major: Anthropology, Psychology, and Hispanic Studies.

Minor: Three majors is about all I can handle, so I don’t have any minors.

Her Campus: What did you do this summer?

Katie Jacobs: This summer, I worked the glamorous job of a server at the fine dining establishment Margaritas in the hopping city of Waltham, Massachusetts.

HC: Why did you pick Brandeis for college?

KJ: I picked Brandeis partially because of the great academics, but also because when I took a tour of the campus, I didn’t see anyone who looked like the people I went to high school with.

HC: What clubs are you a part of on campus?

KJ: I am assistant music director of Rather Be Giraffes A Cappella, I have been involved in a few undergraduate theater productions, and I plan to get involved with the blood drive and maybe volunteer with Waltham Group this semester.

HC: What’s your favorite class you’ve ever taken?

KJ: It’s probably a toss-up between Linguistic Anthropology with Janet McIntosh and Autores, Narradores, y Lectores with James Mandrell.

HC: What is your favorite non-academic part about college?

KJ: The people.  I have made the most amazing friends who have become a wonderful support network for me here.

HC: Do you have any goals for this year?

KJ: To find the meetings of the elusive cheese club and to have the best possible senior year.

HC: Where do you see yourself in five years?

KJ: In five years, I hope that I have a job that I genuinely enjoy, living in a place that allows me to explore the nightlife of a city but also allows me to go on early morning hikes, and having a lot of fun with really good friends.

HC: What’s your favorite movie?

KJ: My favorite movie… It’s really hard to pick, but I would say that some constants on the top of my list are The Princess Bride, The Godfather, and The Big Lebowski.

HC: Who’s your favorite musician?

KJ: This is an unfair question because my music taste is kind of all over the place, but recently I have been listening to a lot of Lake Street Dive, Ella Fitzgerald, Lupe Fiasco, Grace Potter & the Nocturnals, and Eric Clapton.

HC: What’s your advice for freshmen?

KJ: I would say my best advice to freshmen is to try to enmesh yourself as much as possible in the culture at Brandeis; get involved with clubs, make good friends, talk to your professors.  Also, take a class with Janet McIntosh or Sarah Lamb, preferably both.

Self-published author, avid reader, book reviewer, musical theatre enthusiast, Sherlockian, Special Agent (NCIS fandom), amateur singer, and animal lover (especially dogs).
I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.