Karan Malik ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Major: Biochemistry BS/MS

Hometown: Baldwin Harbor, NY

Year: 2015

Her Campus: What are you involved with on campus?

Karan Malik: I’m a Roosevelt Fellow, UDR for the biochemistry department, and TA. In terms of extracurriculars, I’ve been a member of FMLA and Rather Be Giraffes since freshman year. This year I’ve added ELL, SASA’s Mela, and Waltham Group General Tutoring. Also, I’ve been doing research in Dr. Oprian’s lab since January 2013 working on a biofuel (limonene) project.

HC: Tell us about what you do as an UDR and Roosevelt Fellow!

KM: As a UDR, I function as a liaison for the Biochemistry department and majors. Basically, we hold a Meet the Majors event each semester to introduce the major and its requirements. But most importantly, I collect feedback from undergraduates and relay it to the UAH and Department Chair. As a Roosevelt Fellow, I interact with a portion of the first years in helping them acclimate to Brandeis. There are so many things that you can get involved with on campus and it can be really stressful to plan everything out. So I think having a peer-advisor to turn to can be a big help. We basically are an extension of the Academic Advisors and hold weekly office hours. We also hold events for our assigned first year halls along with their CAs.

HC: How do you balance your course load and everything you do on campus?

KM: I think it all comes down to planning and proper execution, along with organization. But it’s definitely easier in theory than in practice. It took me a while to understand my own needs as a student and learning how to prioritize them.  At the end of the day, you are your best thing. Sometimes saying no is the best thing, especially when you’re doing a lot.

HC: What’s your favorite part about Brandeis? 

KM: I’ve come to have some really awesome best friends and hands down they make my Brandeis experience that much better. Learning more about myself alongside my bests has been such a privilege and these experiences will define my time at Brandeis.

HC: Why did you choose Brandeis?

KM: Well, it really came down to the fact that I really wanted to do research and eventually write a thesis. Seeing how dedicated Brandeis is to research and especially the undergraduate’s role in his/her own research really pulled me in on ASD ’11. I think it was the only school on my list where it wasn’t nearly impossible for an undergraduate to work on his/her own thesis project.

HC: What’s one piece of advice you wish you had known as a freshman?

KM: New found independence can be nice, but call your mummy at least once a day. Any problems that I encounter now seem trivial in light of a mother’s wisdom. Also, don’t be afraid to ask for help on campus – no one expects you to know everything.

HC: What are your post-graduation plans?

KM: I’m applying to MD/PhD programs this application cycle and I hope to continue doing research during my gap year.

Favorites:

Movie: Mean Girls/Kill Bill.

Book: The Bluest Eye.

TV Show: House and American Horror Story.

Food on Campus: Sushi 4ever!

Favorite class at Brandeis: Adv Biochem: Enzyme Mechanisms

I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.