Jackie Theoharis ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

When I think of theater here at Brandeis, one name comes to mind: Jackie Theoharis. She is a thespian who never misses the opportunity to participate in a show whether it is on campus or with her theater company outside of school. I don’t know how she does it, but somehow Jackie has found a way to double major and minor and act in numerous productions simultaneously. I present you with the talented, funny, sweet, and artistic Jackie Theoharis. (Please hold your applause until after the interview is finished) 

Name: Jackie Theoharis
Year: 2014
Hometown: Upton, MA
Major: Theater and Psychology, Education Minor (although my mind may change by tomorrow)

When did you first get into acting? I first appeared on the stage at the ripe, tender age of three in a dance recital. I wore a bright pink polka-dotted tutu that currently resides somewhere in my attic. I was placed in the back because I was a freakishly tall child, but somehow I arranged to move myself front and center by the end of the number. The following year, at the critical age of four, I made my huge and exciting debut in the world of musical theater as the profound and challenging role of Nana in Peter Pan.

What theater groups are you involved with inside and outside of Brandeis? So far I’ve only worked with the Hillel Theater Group and Tympanium Euphorium, but I’m sure I’ll branch out further in future semesters. Outside of Brandeis I get around. I’ve performed with various theaters around Massachusetts, including Turtle Lane Playhouse, Blue Spruce Theater, Calliope Productions, the Reagle Music Theater, the Regatta Players, Alexander Children’s Theater School, K&K Productions, and the F.U.D.G.E. Theater Company.

What shows have you been in at Brandeis? I was incredibly privileged to take on the role of Philia, the virgin courtesan, in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forumwith HTG last semester. I began this semester as the ever-so-classy Linda in The Wedding Tzinger, this year’s 24 Hour Musical. In December I will be appearing as the brilliant and inspirational Hope in Urinetownwith Tymp.

Does memorizing your lines come easily to you or do you find it challenging?I’ve never had a problem with memorizing lines. Usually once you’ve been rehearsing something for a while, it sticks to memory. Knowing your character inside and out also helps. However, there have been group numbers that I know I’ll never get, so I don’t even bother. For example, I have yet to learn the lyrics to Razzle Dazzle. They’re so unnecessary.

If you had to guess, how many shows have you done over your lifetime? Do you have any favorites? What a fun question! I don’t believe in counting shows, because it’s lame and egotistical. Sorry, fans. However, some favorite roles include Millie (Thoroughly Modern Millie), Jo March (Little Women), Janet van de Graaff (The Drowsy Chaperone), the Witch (Into the Woods), Holly (The Wedding Singer), Abigail Williams (The Crucible), Hodel (Fiddler on the Roof), Olive (…Spelling Bee), Mama Morton (Chicago), Liesl (The Sound of Music) and Anita (West Side Story). Upcoming (that will most definitely be added to the favorites list): Ilse in the musical version of Spring Awakening, playing November 4-12 at the Arsenal Center for the Arts in Watertown! (Come see it.)

Do you ever get stage fright? If so what do you do to calm your nerves? Another fun question! I wouldn’t really call it stage fright, but sometimes I do get a bit nervous when I know a reviewer or a love interest is in the audience. To calm my nerves, I breathe and just get very into the performance. When you’re acting as another character you sometimes forget that anyone is watching you. When that doesn’t work, I pull out a nip. (Totally kidding).

What other school activities are you involved with? Adagio, being the Queen of Sherman, reading Andrea Stern’s HerCampus articles, frolicking with Andrew Sherman Payne, disregarding my doctor’s orders about my kidney problems by working out anyway, attending various campus events, luring victims into Death By Sunrise, and being a scholarly Brandeis student.

What is one thing that Her Campus readers should know about you but don’t? I can eat fire.

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.