It’s the Home Stretch… But You’re Not Home Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

There are less than two weeks left in first semester, and those weeks are just going to fly by! And it’s only a few weeks, right? Not a big deal, right? Wrong. With winter vacation so close, it’s tempting to get into vacation-mode early and start slacking. The problem is, as far as your professors are concerned, this is primetime. It’s not unlikely that 30% of your final grade will be determined by the work you do in the next few weeks.

But it’s so hard to stay motivated when you’re missing home and the sun goes down at 4:30pm. So here are a few tips to get you through the end of this semester.

·      Try to enjoy your work even if you’re stressed. Sometimes all you need to do is break from your normal routine. If that big research paper is bumming you out, leave Wikipedia for an hour or two and rummage through the library stacks. You might find some inspiring and dusty old sources.

·      Study with friends. If you’re overloaded with problem-sets, grab some snacks and host a math-problem party. Not only will you have someone to commiserate with, but your friends might be able to explain the material if you get stuck in a brain-rut.
·      Study what you need to know. If your professor posts a study guide for a test, follow it. Focus your attention on understanding what’s outlined, and don’t waste your time on what isn’t emphasized. If your class doesn’t have a study guide, you’ll have to filter the material yourself. If you spent multiple classes on one topic, it’s probably important. If it’s bolded or underlined in your notes, it’s probably worth remembering. But if it’s a side topic that’s come up only once, forget about it and move on to something else.
·      Eat food and drink water. If you’re too busy to eat a full meal, pack a protein bar in your backpack. Not eating will put you in a cranky and sluggish mood, which will make studying for your orgo final so much more painful.
·      Study until you understand the material but not past that.With so much work at once, it’s important to be able to prioritize. Once you feel you’ve got some control over a subject, move on to the next one. Getting stuck on any one assignment is pretty boring and will also put you behind.
·      Know when to walk away. When you’ve been re-formatting the footnotes on your paper for the past two hours, it’s probably time to stop. If you find yourself circling around something little, allow yourself to put it down. If necessary, you can always return to it later.

·      Get some fresh air and sunlight. This is tough when the sun goes down before the end of your last class. Wake up a few minutes earlier and turn your morning rush to class into a pleasant stroll. Or linger outside a bit before you enter your dorm. Reminding yourself that there’s a world beyond your textbooks will keep you positive.
·      All work and no play leaves a collegiate feeling dull. Pencil-in some fun or relaxation even if you’re really busy. A little fun will brighten your mood and keep you motivated during these tough weeks. This could be as simple as making a plan to eat lunch with a friend or finding time to read for pleasure.

Finals will be tough, but you’ve got it covered. After all, you’ve been going through “midterms” since late September. So trust your instincts and be honest with yourself as you study. Before you know it, you’ll have a well-deserved vacation.

Rachel is a junior math major and premed student at Brandeis University. She is an EMT and recently joined her school's EMS squad. When she's not busy studying, she enjoys blogging, watching sitcoms, drawing zentangles, folding origami, and eating chocolate.
Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.