How to Make Your Dorm Feel Like Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Add a rug

A rug is a luxurious touch to add to your dorm room. It breaks up the bland colors of whatever floor the university has supplied to you, and gives you something soft to sink your feet into at the end of a long day! Check out Target for some adorable area rugs that are not totally out of your price range.

Framed pictures

Let your friends and family help you decorate your room by filling up your walls with pics of them! CVS has on-site photo printing that takes only a few minutes. You can print from an SD card, a memory stick, or even your Facebook! While you’re there, pick up some frames to make those pictures look even more sophisticated.

Cover up those white walls!

Don’t hang up one poster and be done with it. Those white walls make any dorm room look more like a prison cell. Cover all that empty space with framed pictures, posters, tapestries, memorabilia, fairy lights (LED only for dorms!), and DIY crafts!  

Seating

Always have a place for guests to sit when they come over! PB Teen has tons of options to fit any taste. If you’re pressed for space, an ottoman that doubles as a table and has storage is a total must-have.

Lighting

The florescent lights in most dorms are definitely not flattering or homey. Add your own personal touches to create a more cozy space. Desk lamps and floor lamps are both good choices that will make your space more comfortable and calm.

Photo Sources:
I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.