How to Cook with To-Go Box Ingredients

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

The class of 2017 is the first Brandeis class that has been required to have a meal plan all four years of college (if living in on campus housing). This new policy has certainly ruffled a few feathers, especially those of students with their own kitchens. As someone lucky enough to be living in Ridgewood this year, I’ll be the first to admit it can be nice to have my meal plan as a crutch for the days I don’t want to think about feeding myself.  The major downside of this small luxury is the food bill at the end of the semester.  Brandeis meal plans are anything but cheap, even the smallest ones.  Add this to the monthly cost of groceries (because let’s be real, why choose housing with a kitchen if you don’t plan to cook?), and it really adds up. Thankfully, Sherman (or Usdan) shopping has been a longstanding Brandeis tradition. 

To save on the grocery store bill, I’ve been using my meal swipes to fill to-go boxes with ingredients to cook with.  I find that I can fill one to-go box with enough ingredients for about two meals, ultimately allowing me to make the most of my meal plan.  The only downside of this strategy is that neither Sherman nor Usdan is entirely consistent in their offerings.  To combat this, I like to keep a steady supply of olive oil, garlic, fresh greens, quinoa, lemons and raw eggs in my kitchen.  I find these staples, paired with foods from the dining hall, provide just enough ingredients to make a surprisingly diverse array of meals.  Check out some of my favorites below:

Quinoa Veggie “Stir-Fry”

Where to Shop: Salad Bar

This is an easy I-don’t-know-what-to-cook-so-I’m-going-to-throw-a-bunch-of-stuff-in-a-pan-meal.  Minimal cooking skills needed. I’ll stuff my to-go box with raw vegetables from the salad bar so I can make a big batch or stir-fry and re-heat it throughout the week.  All you have to do is sauté your vegetables with some cooking oil and garlic, add steamed quinoa, and scramble in an egg. Voilà, you’re done!

Classic Grilled Cheese

Where to Shop: Sandwich Station

Grilled Cheeses are for the days I’m feeling extra lazy, but not lazy enough to actually eat at the dining hall.  All you need is either shredded cheese or cheese slices of your choice and bread of your choice.  I usually grab several extra slices so I can have toast throughout the week. If you’re feeling fancy, you can also try filling your box with sliced tomatoes, spinach, grilled chicken etcetera, for a Panini-like creation. 

Vegetable Soup

Where to Shop: Salad Bar, Pasta Station

I love making vegetable soup because it’s easy to make and healthy. I usually like to fill my to-go box with raw veggies from the salad bar such as broccoli, carrots, onions, and when available, spinach, mushrooms and plain navy beans. Sometimes I grab plain pasta or rice to add to my soup upon serving.  Lately, I’ve been filling my to-go box with the pre-prepared beet salad from Sherman and playing around with Borscht recipes.  Most soup recipes call for some kind of stock or broth, but I find that using water works just as well. The trick is to allow the soup to simmer long enough so all the flavors from the veggies have time to develop.  One thing I like to have stashed in my pantry that I can’t find at Sherman or Usdan is plain pasata for minestrone. But I’m sure that pasta sauce from the pasta station will do the trick in a pinch. The possibilities are really endless.

Pasta With Chicken and Broccoli

Where to Shop: Sandwich Station, Grill Station

This is another easy one.  On days this is on the menu, I’ll stuff my to-go box with raw broccoli, grilled chicken and already cooked, plain pasta.  When I get home, I’ll sauté the broccoli with some cooking oil and garlic before adding the chicken and pasta.  I usually finish my pasta off with a little squeeze of fresh lemon and if I have pesto in the fridge, I’ll add some of that just before eating. 

Even if you decide you can’t make a full meal out of just Sherman or Usdan ingredients, you can certainly use dining hall staples to inspire a plethora of different creations.  The possibilities are truly endless (mushy bananas for banana bread, garbanzo beans for hummus, spinach for pesto, etcetera, etcetera)! 

I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.