How Camp Has Influenced My Daily Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.
  1. Fashion

From the crazy amounts of camp t-shirts collected to the popular clothing styles, everyone at camp ends bringing the same fashion statements back home with them. Common camp clothing items include fun socks, Blundstones and/or Tevas, and shirts from local shops or trip day locations. I notice myself wearing these styles pretty frequently and am constantly reminded of the days when I strutted them back at camp.

1. Living with Other People

After spending two months living with a group of 15-20 people and encountering all sorts of challenges, you learn how to live with different kinds of people. This is such an important skill to bring to college as it also helps you with problem-solving. Living in a bunk with many girls summer after summer has shaped me into an easygoing person who can learn to live with anyone.

1. Enthusiasm

My years at camp, especially as a counselor, have taught me how to be optimistic and find the joy in everything. The key to engaging kids in activities that they may or may not want to do is to emphasize the great parts of what may seem like a boring activity.   Even if I’m having a stressful day, I use this skill to help myself push through to the next exciting part of my day or week.

1. Being Prepared

Camp has taught me the true meaning of what it means to be prepared. When you spend the entire day roaming around a giant campus, spending little to no time back at your bunk, it is so important to always come prepared. Whether I’m at camp or in the diaspora of the rest of the year, my purse or backpack is always prepared with the essentials and more.

1. Caring for Others

When you’re in such a special place for two months, you make some of the best friends, connections, and memories you will always remember. With that, you gain a strong sense of love and appreciation for those around you. My ability to care for others is something I deeply cherish from my time spent at camp and will carry with me throughout the rest of my life.

Emily Rae Foreman is a senior at Brandeis University studying Internationals and Global (IGS) studies with a double minor in Economics and Anthropology. She has been acting President of Her Campus Brandeis for two years, as well as a tour guide, an Undergraduate Department Representative for IGS, A writer for the Brandeis Politics Journal and Vice President of the Brandeis Society for International Affairs.