Heart Healthy Valentine’s Day Treat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner! This Friday spread the love with a healthy vegan treat: Dark Chocolate Covered Figs. Dark chocolate offers healthy antioxidants which significantly decrease the amount of adverse effects of free radicals on regular physiological functions in the body. Fruits and vegetables high in antioxidants include pomegranates, berries, citrus, kale, spinach and Brussels sprouts. Millet and oats represent the grain group, while pinto beans and soy beans contain high levels for legumes. You can pre-make this recipe a day before the big date and store in your fridge. If your not a fan of figs try apricots, kiwi, bananas or even strawberries. The opportunities are endless…Enjoy!

Other healthy dessert alternatives to the recipes include smoothies, fruit Bars, pudding cups and fruit kabobs! 

Try a fruit smoothie with raspberries, strawberries and low-fat Greek yogurt, almond milk or OJ. Make your own frozen fruit bars by blending fruit then freezing them in Popsicle stick molds. You can also try pudding cups with your favorite pudding flavor, fresh fruit and cinnamon to taste. Don’t forget kabobs either, by cutting up your favorite fruit and placing them on skewers. 

Happy Heart Healthy Valentines Day!

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.