Getting Ready for the Midyears

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

In a little over a month, the midyear class of 2020 will be arriving on campus and starting off their Brandeis journeys. In honor of this exciting event, I’m compiling what I like to call my 411 on midyears, filled with advice and information on both the midyear experience and midyear orientation. So, if you are joining us in January, or just want to learn more about midyears, you’ve come to the right place!

Midyear Orientation

I am a midyear orientation leader, and myself and the other midyear OLs are beyond excited for the midyear class of 2020 to join us on campus for an amazing orientation!  It’s going to be awesome, and jam-packed with exciting events like a pep rally, talent show, and lit (literally!) glow-in-the-dark dance party. These are all a blast, and are amazing places to socialize with your fellow midyears, get to know new friends, and hang out with the super-fun OLs who are so ready to meet you! Midyear orientation also has plenty of time to chill and connect with people, get to know your way around campus and all of its resources, and learn a lot of important information for your college life. Get pumped!

What is a midyear?

So now that we’ve covered the blast that is orientation, it’s important to know what it means to be a midyear. Midyears are Brandeis first-years who begin their college careers in January, as opposed to August. They live all together in the Village. During the first semester, midyears choose to do a variety of things, including study abroad, work, do an internship, or take classes at another institution. In my first semester, I took a class, interned in a kindergarten classroom, and worked in an after school program. It was great for me because I got to get some course credit, while learning so much and getting great hands-on experience in elementary education, which I hope to pursue.  Midyears come into college with a diverse array of experiences under their belts, and they are ready to share all they have done and learned with our community!

Midyear Myths Debunked

Some incoming midyears may worry that it will be very obvious to the rest of the community that they are new to campus. That is not necessarily the case! And, even if you have questions since you will be new to campus, it’s not a big deal at all to go up to any Brandeis student and ask for help. We are friendly and willing to help! Another midyear myth is that it will be difficult to join clubs and organizations in the middle of the year. This is also not true at all! In fact, each and every semester starts with a giant activities fair, which I highly recommend all midyears attend. At the activities fair, you can learn about all our on-campus organizations, and sign up for as many as you want! Midyears may also be concerned that it will be hard to meet other students, but you will have plenty of opportunities to connect with other first-years and members of our community through classes, clubs, and other events. Finally, all midyears should know that their arrival is eagerly anticipated by everyone on campus (especially their OLs! Shameless orientation plug…). SEE YOU IN 40 DAYS MIDYEARS!!!!