Get to know Kate Moran RD, LDN, Registered Dietitian for Brandeis Dining Services

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Her Campus Brandeis is excited to announce a new weekly colum with Sodexo Registered Dietitian Kate Moran RD, LDN! In Kate’s column, you can expect the latest information on food and nutrition. From recipes to research, trends to tips, she hopes to have it all! Weekly events, special events, new products and offerings will also be available. The column is geared towards you, so if you have topics of interest please share!

Below is an interview with Kate to help you get to know her! 

Why did you become a Registered Dietitian?
I was on the crew team in college and in order compete on the light weight boat I had to obtain a certain weight. My focus quickly shifted from my fashion design major to eating healthy and cooking for my friends. I realized where my priorities were and understood I really wanted to help people. I secretly knew that I could always dress nice and apply my fashion education! I returned back to Boston and graduated from the Coordinated Program in Dietetics at Framingham State University. 
When did you start working for Sodexo?
I started working for Sodexo on July 1, 2013 which was the first day the company started operating Dining Services at Brandeis University. I have been at Brandeis since December 1, 2013 and worked for ARAMARK for 7 months. 

What are some of your responsibilities as your role as the Registered Dietitian for Sodexo?
As a Registered Dietitian it is my main objective to ensure a variety of healthy food offerings that enable everyone to eat on campus. Whether you eat gluten-free, vegan or Kosher foods my goal is to offer an assortment of options that allow you to eat a well balanced nutritious diet. I provide nutrition education through individual counseling sessions, weekly table events and special events such as Garden Week’s Local and Sustainable Food Demo. One of my most rewarding responsibilities is my time spent at the Waltham Community Day Center with Brandeis Be Our Guest. Cooking food for the homeless and educating them and student’s on food preparation and nutrition has been a blast! I can’t wait to visit every week.
Can students come meet with you if they want advice on nutrition?
Yes! Students are welcome to make an appointment with me on topics such as healthy options on campus, a variety of diets such as vegetarian, vegan or gluten-free, weight-loss or gain, food allergy management, and digestive disorders. 

What are some of the changes you are most proud of with the food on campus?
The changes Dining Services has made are just the tip of the iceberg. We have been working hard to get organized and build a strong foundation. I know many students are grateful to have Simple Servings which is our allergy free station in both Sherman and Usdan. Our MyZone area is Sherman allows students to prepare foods with gluten-free, nut-free equipment in addition to the several foods that are offered there.

What are some goals for the future of food at Brandeis?
Our main goal in Dining Services is to enhance the student academic experience by offering quality food, exceptional services and an enjoyable dining experience. I personally am working to implement new menu’s for Simple Servings and the Vegan station in Lower Usdan. The MyZone inventory is likewise improving, based on student requests. I hope to implement informative menu signage including nutrition and allergen information as well as My Fitness Pal bar codes for those who want to track their intake. 

What food related events are taking place this month on campus?
This week we are promoting new composed recipes-to-go at the HOOT Market–more info to come. We have Red’s Best visiting on the 11 to promote our sustainable seafood program. For Valentine’s Day we will offer a special menu at the Faculty Club for $12 per person. Chef Russell will exhibit his candied sweet potatoes on Feb 26. Also check back for next week’s article that will feature a healthy and delicious Valentine’s Day recipe!
Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.