nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Ways To Feel Instantly Happy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

March 20th is International Happiness Day! In honor of this joyous occasion, I’ve put together some very effective ways to be instantly happy (because sometimes we can really use that extra boost!).

Smile: This may sound really simple – almost too simple – but I swear it works. The physical act of smiling is proven to propel “happy chemicals” straight to your brain, instantly enhancing your mood. So next time you sense those blues bubbling up, just smile (or, even better, laugh)! Even if it feels inauthentic at first, you’re actually telling your body that you’re feeling joyful, which will in turn send your mind the memo. 

Listen to happy music: While the sad ballads of Taylor Swift (pre-pop) are perfect for prompting the occasional sob fest (sometimes you just need to let it out), they won’t make you feel happy inside. However, turning on some awesome dance music (i.e., pop Taylor Swift) and jamming out has a 100% happiness guarantee. Find your go-to cheerful song and make it your anthem. 

Be grateful: When you’re immersed in a state of gratitude, it’s almost impossible not to be happy. Writing down a few things that you’re thankful for has life-altering effects and will absolutely make you happier. 

De-stress: Many times, being consumed by stress or anxiety seems to sap the happiness right out of you. There are so many awesome ways to de-stress: journaling, putting on relaxing music, drinking some chamomile tea, crafting “to-do lists”. . .  Alleviating stress will bring out the happiness that was previously overshadowed by the pressures of everyday life. 

Work it out: When you’re feeling down, it’s very tempting to crawl into bed and watch reality T.V. marathons. But truthfully, exercising is just so much better. It’s basically happiness fuel! When you work out (walking, running, dancing, skipping, whatever it may be), your brain releases endorphins (those happiness-boosting chemicals). Plus, have you ever regretted going to the gym? Probably not – in most cases, we leave feeling healthier, more productive, and a whole lot happier! 

Becca is a health-enthusiast, writer, and college student. She is originally from South Florida and is currently studying at Brandeis University. She also blogs for Huffington Post, enjoys running + yoga, and lives for the beach.