This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

It was 1:45 a.m.—almost closing time.  But the library was still crowded.  I shivered as I walked down the hill.  How’d it get to be December?  How did I finish my first semester of college already?  Seems like just yesterday I was trying to figure out how to fit a carful of stuff—well, actually two cars full of stuff—into my half of 180 square feet.  

Since the end of Thanksgiving break, the mood on campus has been a little different.  Classes are over, yet it still seems like the professors don’t ever stop assigning work.  I still have a 12-page paper due tomorrow and a huge project due on Monday!  Plus finals are just around the corner!  How’d that happen?  How will I ever get it all done?  Why didn’t I read the textbook?  Why didn’t I start that 12-page paper last week?

We linger over lunch and dinner a little less.  We look tense.  We look tired.  We are tired.

Yes, we’re looking forward to the end of exams, sleeping in our own beds, eating real food, snuggling with our pets, catching up with old friends, celebrating the holidays with family, walking on a beach, swishing down a ski slope . . .

watching lots and lots of Netflix, 

or maybe doing nothing at all.

But we’re also going to miss our roommates (even when their alarms go off at 7 a.m.), all the crazy friends we’ve made, and maybe even a couple of our classes (perhaps the ones that keep us up to 2 a.m. most often). 

And as important as it is to take advantage of those 24/7 library hours, don’t forget to sleep and take a break.  Grab a bite to eat with friends, hang out in the dorm lounge (but not too loudly – 24-hour quiet hours), do some retail therapy holiday shopping for friends, and when you can’t procrastinate any longer, attend the study session at the Rose surrounded and inspired by great works of art.  Wishing all Brandeisians success on their exams, happy holidays, and a relaxing break.  

I am a first-year at Brandeis University. I'm from New York City and am experiencing city withdrawal. In my free time I enjoy hanging out with friends, sewing, watching netflix, doing musical theater, and eating lots and lots of mac and cheese.