Do’s and Don’ts for Formal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Spring semester means it’s college formal season! And what better way to begin the festivities than by establishing some behavioral protocol?

It doesn’t matter who you are celebrating with or why. Everyone knows someone (or has been that someone) who has partied a little too hard and gotten a tad out of control. Note to self: Don’t be that person!

Here is a list of Dos and Don’ts that will save you the embarrassment of explaining yourself to friends, parents or even the authorities in the near future.

1. DON’T get too drunk.Sometimes, there is a very fine line between feeling buzzed and being hammered. No one wants to be carried out on a stretcher, so for everyone’s sake, limit alcohol consumption.
  2. DO wear color.Formals are often a boring sea of black and white, and wearing color will give your outfit an unexpected twist. Not usually a fan of brighter hues? Integrate color into your outfit by wearing minimal makeup with a bright lip, or accessorize with a vibrant, contrasting shoe or clutch.
  3. DON’T steal someone else’s date.Formal drama is inevitable; don’t be the one who starts it.
  4. DO bring your gay best friend. Taking someone to formal who is not interested in you will take the pressure off of hooking up so you both can focus your energy on having fun.
  5. DON’T wear a ball gown.We’ve all seen it. Wearing a shorter dress doesn’t have to be slutty, and they can actually look very age-appropriate and fresh. You’ll also be more comfortable dancing, considering you won’t have to hold onto your train.  Reserve ball gown ensembles for your award show debut.