This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Sometimes we don’t have time to go to the gym, or honestly, don’t want to. But we still want to be able to have an effective workout within the comfort of our own dorm. Here are some workouts that focus on cardio, arms, glutes, and legs. During all workouts make sure to keep your back straight and do not hold your breath! These workouts do not have to be done in order, and you should ALWAYS stay well highdrated and fed with good nutrients. Drink water before, during, and after your work out, and if you need to rest, do so!

Jumping Jacks and Knee Highs

Jumping Jacks will provide you the cardio you need to get your muscles warm so you don’t pull anything while getting in shape. Do about 10 to 30 jumping jacks (depending on your comfort level) and stretch afterwards.

Knee highs give you cardio with some leg and lower ab work. You can do this before you stretch or after.

Plank

Hold this plank for 60 seconds. Make sure your whole body is in one continuous line and your glutes are not up in the air!

Knee Push-up

This is the beginner level push-up. Best for people who have trouble with balance and/or support. Make sure to keep your back straight and your legs and glutes in line with your neck and back.

Push-up

Make sure you have your whole body straight, like in a plank.

Inclined Push Up

This is for people who would like a challenge with their workouts. If you do this position with a chair, have caution that it will not move around. Instead, try using your bed as support.

Regular Crunches

Make sure while in this position you do not confuse it with a sit-up. You only come up some of the way and come down to where your body is at a 45-degree angle.

Bicycle Crunches

This one is for people who want more of a challenge with their crunches. Keep your legs straight and above the ground. Bring your knee to the opposite elbow (right knee to left elbow; left knee to right elbow).

Squats

Make sure your feet are elbow width apart and you keep your back straight. Try not to lean your body forward as this will be less effective.

Squats with Chair Guidance

This is for people who want to do squats but need guidance in how far to squat. Get your dorm chair and begin to squat as if you were going to sit, but do not sit down. Once you feel the chair under you for a moment, slowly come up and repeat.

Squats with chair Assistance

This is for people who seek to do squats but need support and assistance with balance. Just grab your dorm chair and hold it while you squat. Try not to use it to support all of your weight. 

Remember to work out safely and drink water! If you feel your muscles are warm (AKA feeling the burn), this is good. If you feel pain or cramping, stop and stretch. Working out should be enjoyable! 

Hi! I'm Tyffany. I'm from Georgia and I have just recently moved to the Boston area. I attend Brandeis University and I am currently majoring in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation with a minor in Economics. I'm a bubbly person and I adore DIY and anything arts related. I love fashion and seek to work at an arts company possibly centered in that area.