DIY Graduation Gifts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

With graduation right around the corner, it is time to get your graduating friends or loved ones gifts! A great option if you don’t want to go out and buy a typical gift is to make them something they will always treasure!

1) Sharpie Mugs – these are all the rage and a great option. You can customize a white mug with whatever you want, then bake them in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes to keep the sharpie on the mug and voila, you have a great gift. If you want to go the typical route you can write “grad”, a meaningful quote, or if you are feeling artistic do a cool design.

2) Customized Canvas – this is another great gift for a grad. They can hang them up on the wall of their future home and remember how much you love them on their big day. All you need is a canvas or a woodblock, both available at any arts store, paint of your choice, stickers, pictures, and whatever else you want to decorate it with.

3) Decorative Dry Erase Board – this is a great gift for any age graduate. It is very easy and functional while looking really snazzy. All you need to make this is a picture frame, a piece of scrapbook paper and a dry erase marker. You place the paper behind the glass then put the back onto the frame. Then, you have a classy, and customized dry erase board that can be used anywhere. You can put letters on it and whatever you want to make it customized and special!

4) Bulletin Board Coasters – these will be great for anyone moving into a new apartment, someone who will be having more house parties, or someone who needs the coaster for the occasional mug or glass. All you need is some cork coasters, ribbon or fabric of your choice and a sealant. Wrap the ribbon or fabric around the coasters, put sealant on them so they won’t get ruined if repeatedly used as a coaster, and then hang them on the wall in the pattern you want. Then your grad has have both a decoration and a functional tool for their new house or dorm!

5) Good Luck Notes Jar – this is easy but really meaningful. Go pick up a mason jar of your choice, get some nice paper and some pretty pens and write them good luck notes for them in the future or memories of your time at college together if it’s for a friend.

Any of these gifts will surely please your grad on their special day. So don’t stress about what to get your graduate, start now and make something personal and fun for them so the day of you can enjoy your time with them! 

I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.