This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

A true Campus Celebrity: helping those in need in the Waltham community and actually giving back to our campus.

Year: 2015

Hometown: Short Hills NJ

Majors: Art History and Politics

Her Campus: Why did you decide to go to Brandeis?

Dani Flaum: When I visited Brandeis on Admitted Students Day I felt that the campus and students valued a real sense of community. This is something I really wanted out of my college experience, in addition to having a lot of programs in my areas of interest.

HC: How did you first get involved with the Waltham Group?

DF: In high school, I was involved with a range of different community service programs. I knew when I got to Brandeis I wanted to continue that trend. During my Waltham Group Recruitment Fair (three years ago), I came across SPECTRUM. SPECTRUM is a group that brings tutors together to mentor children and teens with Autism. Having past experience working with children with Autism, SPECTRUM really stood out to me and I immediately wanted to become involved.

HC: What made you decide to become a coordinator for the Waltham Group?

DF: I became a coordinator after volunteering with SPECTRUM for a three semesters. I made great connections with the children and the other volunteers and wanted to expand my knowledge of working with children with Autism. Though I also wanted to expand my leadership skills and help spread awareness of SPECTRUM and Waltham Group within the Waltham community.

HC: What does your job entail?

DF: Being a coordinator involves a lot of planning. As a coordinator, I (along with my other wonderful coordinators) have to begin planning all of our programs in the summer months. We recruit volunteers and families to participate in our programs to make sure our activities run smoothly. Most importantly as a coordinator we have to make sure our volunteers are trained and ready to work with our kids. Not to mention that our kids and parents are happy and having fun!

HC: Who else is on the board of the Waltham Group?

DF: The other amazing coordinators of SPECTRUM are Benji Bernstein, Dan Kats, and Lekha Grandhi!

HC: How many people volunteer?

DF: We have about 40 volunteers and about 20 families who participate.

HC: Are there any big changes you wish to make in organization?

DF: This year in SPECTRUM, we are trying to focus on marketing ourselves to new families throughout the Waltham community. Also, we are currently in the process of creating a club for Teens with Autism. The club would enable the kids to meet and spend time with Brandeis students in order to expose them to the social aspects of college life. SPECTRUM begins in early October and we could not be more excited!

HC: What’s the best part about being apart of the Waltham Group?

DF: I really love all the ways I am able to give back to the Waltham Community. In the past three years, I have been able to get to know a very specific part of the community and hopefully help improve their lives.

HC: What is the biggest project the Waltham Group is working on this semester?

DF: 21 separate Waltham Group programs have their own programs throughout the semester. However, we are always looking to recruit new volunteers and find ways to give back to the community. The 20+ programs of Waltham Group work relatively autonomously, focusing on different community service projects. We are working towards bettering the Waltham Community, and always looking for more volunteers to grow and find more ways to give back.

HC: What else are you involved in on campus?

DF: I am a sister of Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority, as well as a guard at the Rose Art Museum, and a member of the Yoga club.

Contact Info for all who wish to get involved: spectrumbrandeis@gmail.com

Fun Facts

Celeb Crush: Justin Timberlake loved him since his N’Sync days

Sherman or Usdan: Usdan (but secretly Sherman)

Favorite late night snack: Microwave Popcorn

Favorite place on campus: The Great Lawn

Favorite Dorm: Pom 4

Repping the 305. From Miami to Boston. Likes: House music, Tuna Fish, Rom Coms, Sunshine Dislikes: Track, Roller coasters, Snakes
I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.