Couples Edition: Ben Wheat ’15 and Erica Mazzone ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Year:

Ben Wheat: 2015

Erica Mazzone: 2015

Hometown:

BW: Pottersville, New Jersey

EM: Winthrop, Massachusetts

Major:

BW: Biochemistry, Chemical Biology

EM: Business, Psychology

Her Campus: What are you involved with on campus?

BW: I’m vice president of Top Score and a member of Brandeis Wind Ensemble. I Play French horn in both. I also do research in a chemistry lab.

EM: I’m Treasurer of the Adagio Dance Company and I’ve been dancing with them since I started at Brandeis. I’m also part of STAR and I’ll be Treasurer of that starting in January as well. I’m also on the Brandeis Dance Marathon Committee and I work at Lemberg Children’s Center.

HC: How did you two meet?

EM:  I lived with mutual friends of Ben in Ziv last year. I didn’t know them as well at the time but we were all going abroad and I started hanging out with them. So they brought me to a get together one night and Ben was there.  It took a couple more times hanging out as friends before we actually started talking, but I think we definitely noticed each other right away

HC: How long have you been dating?

EM: We’ve been dating a little over a year… since last October.

HC: Tell us about your most memorable date.

BW: Definitely when we went to North Conway, NH for our anniversary.  We hiked up a mountain, although it was foggy and we couldn’t see anything from the top, and we enjoyed a fancy dinner at one of Erica’s favorite restaurants in the area.

HC: What’s one thing you both love about each other?

BW: I love that Erica so playful, silly, and true to herself around me.

EM: Yeah I agree with what he said. I love that Ben puts a hundred percent effort into everything he does. He’s such a hard worker, and that includes the time he puts into our relationship too.

HC: What’s your favorite thing to do when you are together?

EM: Well I really enjoy hiking with him, but obviously that’s not something we can do every day. There’s a lot of mundane stuff we do together. I guess my favorites are making dinner together, going out with friends, and watching Netflix.

BW: Snuggles.

HC: Do you have any advice for long distance couples over the break? 

BW: Text, call, Skype, keep in touch however you can.  Even it you’re just describing some mundane events from your day, a little bit goes a long way.  Try to find a balance where you can enjoy time at home with family or friends too.

EM: Oh yeah! We were long distance for a whole semester when I went abroad last spring. We got through it with good communication. We texted everyday (thank you international plan) and tried to Skype about once a week. At the same time I think there was plenty of space for us to grow separately. For me it was a good mix of being on my own, and having support from him. Overall it was really hard at times, but I’m really glad I got the opportunity to travel. My advice is that long distance with the right person is definitely worth it.

Her Campus: As seniors, if you could go back in time what’s one thing you would you would tell your freshman self?

EM: I would tell my freshman self not to take myself so seriously, especially academically. Not that good grades aren’t important, but I stressed myself out too much at times and it didn’t do me any good. Looking back, I would have spent that time hanging out with my friends (and Ben if I had met him then).

BW: Everything is going to turn out just fine.

Her Campus: Finally, what’s one life dream each of you have?

EM: I want to be an expert in both organizational behavior and consumer psychology. I also want to write books like JK Rowling.

BW: I want to live on Long Island and be a winemaker.

Favorites:

Sherman or Usdan: 

EM: Usdan before the whole food-cage thing they have now.

BW: I agree, Usdan.

Food:

EM: Pasta (any kind!)

BW: Duck Confit

TV Show:

EM: Criminal Minds

BW: Game of Thrones

Book: 

EM: East by Edith Pattou. It’s a young adult book, but it’s good.

BW: Kitchen Confidential

I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing. 
I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.