Copenhagen-Bound: Tales from a Soon-to-Be-Abroad Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

In exactly a month, I will be in Copenhagen. Aah, so weird! It just seems like yesterday that I was applying to get into the Danish Institute for Study Abroad. When I applied in February, I had no idea what to expect. All I knew was that the program offered classes that I was interested in taking, which will help me in completing all my majors and minors. Also, DIS is an English-speaking program, so I did not need to study another language. Other than that, I really did not know anything about Copenhagen, which was great for me because I really wanted to get out of my comfort zone and experience a culture I never thought I would experience. Also another plus is that Denmark is located in Europe. This means I can jet off to Paris, Rome, and Amsterdam during my breaks and weekends, which is AWESOME!

After I got into the DIS program—YEAH ME—I learned new, interesting facts about Copenhagen, but not too much that it will allow me to get into my head and overthink my trip. Copenhagen is one of the happiest and safest cities in the world, and as a born-and-raised New Yorker, this is perfect because I will receive all the benefits of the city life without the scary costs, e.g. the fear of getting mugged. I also learned a lot from my friends who are in Copenhagen right now. They are advising me on where to go, what to bring, and what to expect. The most important advice they have given me is to relax and enjoy the process before going to Copenhagen and my time in Copenhagen. Thankfully, the consensus has been that the DIS program is a hidden gem, and many people have told me that I will have an amazing time.

Now that I have only a month to get ready for Copenhagen, I know I need to pack and buy a lot of warm clothing because according to the weather forecast, it is very cold. Sadly, the sun goes down at 4 p.m.! That is just not right, but I can just jet off to Barcelona and stay with one of my friends that is studying abroad there when I need some vitamin D. I also know to pack a lot of going out clothing because I was told I would be going out almost every night. Right now I am excited, nervous, and overall cannot wait! This semester will be awesome!

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.