Communicating to a Better Career

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

One of the most useful tools for students on campus is the Hiatt Career Center. With a growing interest in communications careers, they threw a forum for students from the Boston area on the 9th.

There was a panel including two Brandeis Alums both working in the field of marketing as well as a speed networking portion. During speed networking students were able to move to four of the ten plus tables and ask questions to company representatives about the types of entry-level positio
ns and internships their companies offer.

Companies ranged from Trip Advisor, to Addias Shoes and Cone Inc. Students were able to bring resumes to the representatives as well as ask for contact information so they could follow up.

Throughout the evening the main message from companies was to follow your bliss and do what makes you happy. If you love your job and you have a real passion for it then you will be more successful at it even if it includes hectic schedules and long hours.

Lastly, we’ve all heard it before but students need to network. Hiatt has great tips and tools for us to do this including a series of more forums for other fields and shadowing alumni programs. 

Photo Credit: Hoot

Abigail Katznelson is a Senior at Brandeis University studying Economics and Psychology. She recently joined the Her Campus Team and is so excited to have been recognized by Brandeis as an official charter! She is a member of the Brandeis Student Union, Creative Advertising Director for Student Events, and the Vice President of Sigma Delta Tau Delta Gamma Chapter. Her interests include singing, shopping, writing and exploring exotic foods. She will attend Brandeis’ International Business School next year as a participant in Brandeis’ 5-Year Masters program in International Finance.