College Guide to Baking: Cake Pops

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Ever sitting in your dorm when suddenly you get that sudden food craving? You’re not prepared to settle for that drawer full of enticing, yet same old packaged desserts. You also can’t bear the thought of layering up to walk to the dining hall only to discover that your favorite dessert has already run out. Lastly, there’s the kitchen right downstairs where you could cook up something…after a few hours of scrubbing that old crusted baking pan and searching for the seemingly never ending list of ingredients. Guess what! No need to endure any of this. There’s a quick and easy way to curve your craving and satisfy your sweet tooth and it can be done right from your dorm! It’s the CAKE POP revolution! These are bite-size pieces of cake that are simply irresistible and can be made from the comfort of your dorm room with just four ingredients (cake mix, cooking oil, water, and yogurt (I used strawberry Yoplait) and a cake pop maker.  Cake pop makers generally sell for around $20 but are definitely worth the investment in exchange for long term deliciousness. Cake pops are shareable, easy for on-the-go (running late for class again?), the perfect bite-size snack, and simply irresistible. But wait, it gets better! How many times have you been tempted by the cake batter, but forbidden from doing anything but taking in the aroma by sticking your nose as closely to the batter as you can without face planting, because of the eggs in the mixture? With this cake pop recipe, you can sample the batter because instead of using eggs, you may substitute yogurt and trust me, this does no injustice to the flavor. The yogurt, like eggs would, leavens the cake. Coming from somebody who never took a liking to any flavor of yogurt, I not only took a liking to the cake pops, but fell in love with them. So…have you ordered your cake pop maker yet?

Step by Step:

1-Gather your ingredients and a large bowl for mixing

2- Mix cake batter, yogurt, water, and cooking oil evenly (Baking with limited cooking supplies, what I did was “eyeball” these ingredients) (Add more yogurt, for creamier/fluffier consistency)

3- Carefully pour batter into each well if cake pop maker

4- Cake pops will be ready once leavened and ready to eat! 

Brittany is a senior at Brandeis University. She loves looking for exciting new volunteer opportunities in and around her community, spreading school spirit working in Brandeis admissions, and sharing memories from her semester abroad in Denmark. In her free time, you might find her browsing Spotify for new music, scouting out hole-in-the-wall food joints, or face-timing with her eleven year old brother. Check her out on Instagram @britt_wolfe for snapshots of her life and if you're hungry, check out her foodstagram @diningonthedaily!
I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.