Breaking Out of the Brandeis Bubble: Places to Enjoy Boston’s Warm Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Now that the temperature is warm enough to be outside for more than 15 minutes, why not get off campus and enjoy some of Boston’s outdoor attractions? 

The Trails

Boston Freedom Trail

Ever wonder what those fancy lines of red brick cutting across the Boston Commons and Faneuil Hall mean? Grab a friend, walk the 2.5 miles, and hit some of the Boston’s most historically significant sites along the way.  What’s even better? No GPS necessary. 

Black Heritage Trail

Boston’s free African American community was at the forefront in the movement to end slavery and to achieve equal rights in the 19th and 20th century. Take advantage of the free guided walking tours and learn about the history in your backyard. 

The Squares

Porter Square

By now you’ve probably had the joyous experience of riding the Joseph’s Shuttle to Harvard Square. If you’re looking to mix it up, go to Harvard Square and take one T stop over to enjoy the Porter Square Book Store & Café, eat at Darul Kabab’s daily lunch buffet, and browse the Tibetan Arts Gallery.

Davis Square

Known to be the most “hipster-friendly” of all the Squares, Davis is filled with coffee shops, art galleries, and tons of live music. Visit the Davis Square Farmers Market or just relax in one of the many public parks and you’ll be guaranteed a great afternoon

The Parks

Boston Commons

If you’re committed to studying for finals over the weekend and you’re nervous that going off campus will put you behind, don’t worry at about. Pack a blanket, grab some snacks, and bring your textbooks to Boston Commons. 

Charles River Esplanade

Feel like going for a run but the Dartmouth St. scenery isn’t cutting it for you? Head on over to Charles River Esplanade and enjoy a jog along the water while admiring the public art installations and a view of the Boston skyline. 

Mya is a sophomore at Brandeis University. She is an Education major with minors in African and Afro-American Studies and Anthropology. When she’s not writing, you can find Mya playing for the Brandeis women’s soccer team or attempting to navigate Boston. She also enjoys dancing and is a firm believer that what she lacks in technique she can make up in enthusiasm. She’s originally from sunny South Florida and can frequently be seen sporting her winter coat indoors. Follow her on Instagram @myagoodman for sporadic postings of her life!
I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.