Breaking Out of the Brandeis Bubble: The Lawn on D

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

I had never heard of the Lawn on D until the start of my junior year, so I was surprised to learn that it is a pretty popular Boston community attraction. After visiting it myself earlier this semester, I can definitely understand why the Lawn on D is such a well-liked place. 

Located in South Boston at 420 D Street just by the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, the Lawn on D is just what it sounds like, a lawn.  What makes it special is the interactive nature of the space.  When I went to visit the Lawn on D, there were food trucks, Ping-Pong tables, corn hole games and giant Jenga sets.  In addition, there was a live music performance the whole time I was there.  The highlight of the space was a large set of huge plastic circular swings that glowed in darkening night.  It was kind of like a big modern community playground. Overall, it was a really cool place to hang out and play with friends.  

Unfortunately the tent and games part of the Lawn on D is closed for the season, but the park is still open to the public on a daily basis.  If you haven’t been yet, I would definitely recommend a visit before the weather turns too cold.  The Lawn on D is open to the public everyday from 7:00am to 10:00pm.  However, since it doubles as an event space, visiting hours might be restricted on certain days.  Check out this calendar to make sure it is open when you want to visit.  The closest T-stop is about a ten-fifteen minute walk.  A word of warning, this walk will probably feel kind of sketchy at night.  But bring a group of friends, and it is sure to be an adventure you won’t forget! 

For more info on the Lawn on D be sure to visit their website.  

I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.