Brandeis and Waltham over the summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

I’m sure many of you are curious about what Brandeis/Waltham is like during the summer, especially those of you who are finishing up freshman year. As a rising senior who is about to spend her third consecutive summer in Waltham, I feel that I can shed some light on life here in the summer!

What it’s like

One of the major differences about Brandeis in the summer is that there are so few people here! One thing that I was warned about, but I still was surprised when I saw for myself how few people there actually are on campus during the summer. The library is usually quite empty as well as the SCC.

Living off campus

Many people opt to live off campus during the summer since it is so much cheaper than living on campus. It is possible to get a place off campus for about $500 – $600/month, whereas housing on campus is $2,350 if you plan to stay from June 1st – August 8th (even more if you want to stay longer), which is so much more expensive than living off campus. If you’re planning on living off-campus this summer, then I highly recommend checking out the facebook group “Brandeis Housing” where people offer summer sublets to Brandeis students staying in Waltham over the summer. A couple tips for off campus housing in the summer: 1) find a sublet early, 2) make sure that you actually visit the room you may rent before you agree to live there, and 3) make sure you like the people you will be living with.

Dining Hall

Sorry Brandeis, but the food in the summer is usually pretty awful. Generally, only the Stein is open, which seems great, however “normal” Stein food is not served, and the hours are really inconvenient. In an attempt to be less of a pessimist, I will say that there is always the possibility that the summer food will improve this year and shock us all. However, I would not be willing to bet on that being the case. So go to Hannafords and pack a lunch or check out Domenick’s in IBS.

Social Life

In the summer, the social life is actually pretty nice. There are only about 40 – 50 people who regularly go to Brandeis parties and “hang out” (on and off campus). However I have always met really awesome students during the summer who I would have never met otherwise. If you’re staying this summer, keep an eye out for a “Waltham Summer 2013” facebook group because there will probably be one. On the Waltham Summer 2011 and Waltham Summer 2012 facebook groups, there was always something fun and/or interesting posted. The facebook groups served as a great way to find parties and events going on in the area.

Working off Campus

Lastly if you plan on working off campus I urge you to consider the commute. 1) Would you be able to walk to work, drive, take a bus, or take a train? 2) How long would it take? 3) And how much time would you have left over for your other commitments (school, homework, enjoying the summer…). I made the mistake one summer of getting a job in Harvard Square as a host at a restaurant. I had to take the commuter rail and the subway into and out of the city, and I only made about $30 dollars per shift (after taxes). Essentially, my commuting costs were about $15 per shift, meaning that after 4 hours of work, and 1.5 hours of commuting (5.5 hours in total), I only made $15. I quickly realized how pointless it was to spend so much time to make so little money, so I quit my job. I urge you to learn from my mistake and make better choices about where you work over the summer.

Things to do in Boston

There are endless possibilities in Boston over the summer! Just search online for museums, boat rides, events, and other activities. Also, the summer weather in Boston is beautiful!

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.