Becca Fischer ‘13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Name: Rebecca Fischer
Year: 2013
Hometown: San Antonio, Texas
Major: International Global Studies/Education double major, legal studies minor

HC: What clubs and activities are you involved with on campus?
BF: I am on the varsity volleyball team, on the Relay for Life Committee, Colleges Against Cancer, Prevent Child Abuse America, Sigma Delta Tau, and the TOMS shoes campus representative.

HC: What positions do you hold in these clubs?
BF: My involvement varies from semester to semester. In the fall I concentrate mostly on SDT, volleyball, and PCAA. I am the assistant sisterhood chair and one of the standards board representatives for SDT and I am fortunate enough to be able to help with our PCAA philanthropy kickball event that Krista Giuntoli is hosting this year. Next semester I will be able to focus more on my involvement with the Relay for Life Committee as the Spirit Chair. I’ll get to coordinate spirit activities as well as theme laps for the Relay event in March which is an event I have been a committee chair for over all three years at Brandeis. I haven’t been able to do much with Colleges Against Cancer lately, but I am always first in line to sign petitions for the club, or donate money for the fundraising events.

HC: How did you first get involved in Relay for Life and what does your position entail?
BF: I first began working on the Relay for Life Committee my first semester freshman year. The athletics community at Brandeis is really involved in Relay and two of my teammates mentioned that they were looking for people to help up. I attended a meeting and was instantly hooked. As far as being the spirit committee chair it was actually a position created last year as a way to try and get people more excited about the event. I was the chair last year, and am honored to have the opportunity to do it again this year. We have so many excited things planned for relay and Hannah Katcoff who is in charge of Relay as a whole has done an amazing job preparing for it so far. I relay for my family, as a number of my family members are cancer survivors.

HC: What position do you play on the volleyball court? Is it difficult to balance schoolwork, clubs and volleyball? When are upcoming games?
BF: I am a middle blocker for the Brandeis volleyball team as well as a third year starter. It’s an amazing position as I get to not only hit but block across the entire net. I am the type of person who thrives off of being busy. If I wasn’t constantly doing something, I’d probably drive myself crazy with boredom and I would procrastinate on my work. Being on the volleyball team has taught me many skills which have enabled me to actually excel at not only my school work but also when it comes to taking on leadership roles in other activities around campus. On October 29th we have our final home game against U Mass Boston at 1:00 and we are hoping for a big crowd of supporters to come cheer us on.

HC: I hear you also teach, where and how old are the kids you work with?
BF: I am in a class that allows me to work in a classroom for two hours every Tuesday morning in Cambridge. The school is called Cambridge Port and I work in a first-second grade combined classroom. I not only get to learn from a great teacher, but I also get to work with a fabulous set of kids.

HC: You’re so busy! What’s your favorite way to relax?
BF: As far as my favorite way to relax goes, I guess I would have to say spending time with my friends here on campus. I have a great support group in not only the athletics and greek life communities, but also in my close group of friends who have been with me since the beginning of freshman year. We usually spend our free time together watching sports games or writing/ performing new music. I honestly don’t know where I would be without the friends that I’ve made over my last two and a half years here. It’s nice to know that no matter what I have a million people to turn to, whether it be some of the girls from the volleyball team, one of my sisters in SDT, a fellow Relay for Life committee member, or just one of my best guy friends.

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.