Ankita Sukthankar ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Year: 2015

Hometown: Mumbai, India. (It’s the most awesome city in India)

Majors:Psychology and IGS

Minor: Education Studies

I know you are very involved in MELA (an annual charity show that promotes understanding and awareness of South Asian Culture that includes dances, music, spoken word poetry, and performances by various student groups on campus) that happened last weekend. How was that experience for you?

Yes I am! I am the secretary of the South Asian Students’ Association and Mela is our biggest event of the year. I also choreographed for the Sophomore dance and was on the Chak De ‘Deis and Brandeis Bhangra dance teams. Mela was an absolutely amazing experience. It was stressful at times, I definitely did not get much sleep over the last few weeks but the feelings of pride and achievement I had on the final day made it worth all the effort. The fact that I’m the happiest when I’m dancing only adds to it! It’s been one day and I miss all the Mela craziness already. Besides, interacting with my classmates and the E-board during Mela reminded that I really do have a family at Brandeis even though my parents are 8000 miles away. Such a good feeling :) 

When did you first get involved in MELA? 

I had heard about Mela from one of my friends before I got to Brandeis as a freshman and I knew from the start that I would enjoy every bit of it. I first got involved with Mela last year when I took part in my class dance and joined the Chak De team. It was literally the highlight of my freshman year! 

What other clubs are you involved with on campus? 

Other than SASA (South Asian Students Association) I am on the E-board for Namaskar, a club that aims to spread awareness about Hinduism, Jainism and Sikhism on campus. I definitely want to explore and be a part of at least one new club next semester! 

What is the best movie you had seen recently?

Good question. I don’t remember the last time I watched a movie, either good or bad. I’ve been way too busy with work/dance/classes :( Maybe this thanksgiving break I will though. 

Do you have any hidden talents?

I’m not too sure, I don’t think I have any real hidden talents :P Um maybe that I make jewelry and that I spent a lot of my middle and high school years selling beaded jewelry for charity? 

I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like. 
Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.