Alicia Ball ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Hometown: Freehold, NJ

Majors: Sociology and Education Studies

Minor: Spanish

Activities: Waltham group coordinator, BNC ambassador, phonathon, sisterhood chair of SDT, off campus job

How did you get involved in Waltham Group?
I love working with kids and the program I do involved tutoring immigrant children in English. I started doing it freshman year and it’s been a really fun and rewarding experience.

What does being a coordinator entail?
I run (along with two others) the LACE program, and I also attend weekly meetings with the other coordinators, and participate in other bigger initiatives that Waltham group is involved in.

How is it being a phonathon caller?
It’s really rewarding serving as a connection between what is happening with the current student body on campus and the bigger Brandeis community. I really love getting to hear about other people’s Brandeis experiences and telling them about mine!

BNC: What is that?
BNC stands for Brandeis National Committee, and it is made up of people who didn’t necessarily go to Brandeis but still support the school. I am part of the New Jersey chapter, so when I am home for breaks I meet with them to talk about my experience as a student and answer any questions they have.

Tell me about your experience in Sigma Delta Tau:

Joining SDT was one of the best things ive done in college. The sorority is such an amazing group of girls who I genuinely consider some of my closest friends. Not only that, but it’s been a great opportunity to hold leadership positions and a gateway to getting more involved on campus.

What has been your favorite event during your time as sisterhood chair?
At the end of last semester, I planned a dinner for all of our graduating seniors, and it was such a great time to have one last big sendoff for the graduating girls. We had delicious food and people made speeches, and it was super laid back but also still really meaningful.

What’s your favorite thing to do in your free time?
I really like to watch movies, in my snuggie in the living room of my house. My personal favorite is young Frankenstein.

What’s been your favorite thing about living off campus this year?
I love not being on a meal plan (even though there have been a few kitchen mishaps) and also, living off campus means I can’t go home between my classes so I spend more time in the library!
What’s your favorite Restaurant in Waltham?
Baan Thai- no question. Their pad see ew is amazing, but my secret favorite is seaweed salad. Let’s just say it’s on speed dial when I mess up in the kitchen.

What’s one trend on your radar this fall?
I’m obsessed with my jean jacket, but that’s no trend, it’s a classic that never goes out of style.

What are you planning to dress up as for Halloween?
I keep trying to convince people to go as powerful women in history with me..but I haven’t gotten the enthusiastic response I’d hoped for. So I think I’m going as Dora
the Explorer.

Favorite Song: Danza Kuduro

Theme song to your life: Run This Town by Jay-Z

Favorite Founding Father: Alexander Hamilton

One thing you couldn’t live without: My Snuggie

Favorite Study Snack: Kettle corn

Favorite tv show: Friday night lights, but currently New Girl

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.