Abby Kirshbaum’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Name: Abby Kirshbaum

Year: 2016

Hometown: Minneapolis, Minnesota

Major: Psychology

Minors: Business, Social Justice & Social Policy

Her Campus: What are you involved with on campus?

Abby Kirshbaum: Right now, other than classes, I am involved in three things. First, I am a Roosevelt Fellow. I love it so much, both being with the group and working with students. Second, I am in the Hillel Theater Groups, “The Contest” which opens on November 12th at 8:00pm in the SCC! Everyone should go: it’s a really fun show and I play a crazy midwestern Jewish mother who is obsessed with entering her family into contests (so basically I am playing myself.) And third, I am a Zumba Instructor. You should also come to those classes (Monday 8:30pm, Friday 4:30pm, Sunday 4:00pm.) Am I plugging for too many things? Should I also tell you to come to my Rosie Office Hours?

HC: What is your biggest accomplishment at Brandeis to date?

AK: Honestly, I think figuring out how to balance my life with school, extracurriculars, friends and work has been a huge accomplishment. It took a few years but I really feel like I’ve succeeded.

HC: What is your best Brandeis memory?

AK: Oh gosh, that is a tough one. I wish I could think of something funny right now. But to be more sentimental, I loved being a part of “Lost Girls” by Charlie Madison last year where I played a women who was murdered by her husband. It was an amazing show where I learned a lot about women’s relations to each other and the world as well as learning a lot about acting.

HC: What are you going to miss about Brandeis the most?

AK: I’m going to miss being so close to all of my best friends all of the time. I also will miss all of the opportunities. It is so cool that I have had a chance to try so many different activities here. I really like being busy all the time, which is not an issue for me at Brandeis.

Fun Facts:

Favorite class at Brandeis: Anthropology of Gender with Sarah Lamb

Pet-Peeve: People gossiping about people that have no relation to them what-so-ever

Prized possession: My jewelry that either is from my sister or that I have the same as my sister. Also the necklace I wear everyday I got from my parents.

Guilty pleasure: The 4th hour of the Today Show—no shame though. The news is important.

Hidden talent: My arms are weirdly really flexible. Come find me and ask me to do my arm thing!

I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.