6 Haunted Halloween Happenings in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Fall Pumpkin Float 

What: Hundreds of illuminated jack-o’-lanterns will float on the water.  There will also be festive family activities.  Attendees are asked to bring 8-inch or smaller carved pumpkins that will be lit and then floated on the Frog Pond for a picturesque early evening display.  Everyone is encouraged to come dressed in Halloween costumes!

Where: The Boston Common Frog Pond

When: October 23, 4:30-6:30 pm

Costume Dash 

What: Run a 5K from Copley Square to Boston Common while dressed in your craziest Halloween Costume.  Once you reach the finish line, participate in a fun costume contest.  The run supports the American Cancer Society. 

Where: Copley Square to Boston Common

When: October 29, 9 am

GoreFest XIV 

What: An improvised Halloween musical put on by ImprovBoston about the upcoming election featuring blood, guts, and lots of gore.

Where: 40 Prospect St, Central Square Cambridge

When: Select Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday nights from October 27 to November 6

6th Annual Canine Promenade 

What: The Canine Promenade is a 1/2‐mile Halloween costume dog parade around the Esplanade.  All dogs and owners encouraged to come in costume!

Where: Charles River Esplanade (on Fiedler Field)

When: October 23, 12-2 pm

Ghosts and Gravestones Tour 

What: Step aboard a haunted trolley to hear about Boston’s most sinister characters.  Venture into two of the oldest burying grounds in Boston.  Visit Copp’s Hill Burying Ground in the North End and Granary Burying Ground where John Hancock, Paul Revere, and Samuel Adams were buried. 

Where: 200 Atlantic Avenue, Boston, MA

When: Everyday in October and November, 7pm

Salem, Massachusetts

What: Salem, Massachusetts, famous for its 1692 witch trials, during which several locals were executed for allegedly practicing witchcraft, is the perfect place to visit this October.  Visit the Salem Witch Museum to learn about witches through a live dramatic history lesson.  Then head to Frankenstein’s Castle, a haunted house and model of Dr. Frankenstein’s dungeon located in the basement of the Salem Wax Museum.  Finally, head over to the 4-D Haunted Adventure at Salem Time Machine to get a history lesson and travel through Old Salem.  This experience is 4-D and uses eye-popping black lights.  

Where: Salem, Massachusetts

When: Take a day trip to Salem any day this October and walk from site to site exploring the eerie experience that is Salem each Halloween. 

I am a first-year at Brandeis University. I'm from New York City and am experiencing city withdrawal. In my free time I enjoy hanging out with friends, sewing, watching netflix, doing musical theater, and eating lots and lots of mac and cheese.