This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Amidst the commotion of life, it’s easy to think little of gratefulness.  Hence, the fourth Thursday in November is a special day on which we recognize and celebrate our blessings, such as our family and friends.  Here are some ways to fill yourself with gratitude this Turkey Day!

1.    LettersThe case that material things aren’t the ultimate form of gratitude is maybe hackneyed, but very true (the admission of a true cliché is also a truism itself, but just ignore that).  Write letters to your loved ones expressing your thanks—it’s free and valuable beyond price.

2.    DonateThere are plenty of ways to donate this holiday!  The Greater Boston Food Bank, our country’s largest hunger-relief organization, is raising money to provide 45,000 nutritious Thanksgiving meals to underprivileged families.  All of the information can be found here.

3.    Leftovers If you live in an urban area where there are many people without homes, bring some of your Thanksgiving leftovers to a shelter, or directly to a person on the streets.  The latter will leave you feeling especially gratified and make your holiday remarkable.

4.    Visit Retirement homes and hospitals welcome visitors throughout the year.  As a holiday goal, drop by a local retirement home or hospital.  There are some people who aren’t fortunate enough to celebrate Thanksgiving with their loved ones, whether owing to distance or illness.  It’s an experience you’ll never forget.

5.    We can always improve!Work on being more thankful in general, starting this Thursday!  Make daily or weekly lists of things that you appreciate.  Try not to weigh what you don’t have, and instead consider what you do have.  It will be of advantage to you.  Gratitude is one of the key constituents in the blueprint for happiness.

I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.