5 Healthy Dorm Staples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

With all of the craziness of every-day life, it’s easy to let your health take a backseat. Snacking smart keeps you energized, focused, and ready to tackle the day! Here are five healthy staples to have in your dorm that make it really easy to stay on track: 

1. Nuts and seeds: I always make sure to buy a large variety of nuts and seeds in bulk (they last forever and are less expensive that way). My favorites are almonds, cashews, Brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds. A handful makes for a sustaining, brain-powering, and tasty snack. You can also make a healthy trail-mix!

2. Fruit: The dining halls usually offer a selection of fruit –be sure to take that fruit. Grab a banana or an apple to go. Chances are you’ll be hungry later in the day and these healthier options are far better than the ones you’ll end up settling for.

3. Dark Chocolate: When that sweet tooth kicks in, it’s healthier to reach for a few squares of dark chocolate. Not only does it satisfy sugar cravings but it’s filled with antioxidants and will give you an extra caffeine boost.  (The C-store sells a really great variety!)

4. Skinny pop: Movie nights always call for a big bowl of popcorn. Mindlessly eating often leads to consuming a lot more than you really need, so it’s always nice to have some unbuttered popcorn on hand.

5. Brown rice cakes: I love these! They’re great alone or topped with almond/peanut butter, guacamole, or hummus (which are all filled with protein and healthy fats).

Happy Snacking!

Becca is a health-enthusiast, writer, and college student. She is originally from South Florida and is currently studying at Brandeis University. She also blogs for Huffington Post, enjoys running + yoga, and lives for the beach.