emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Holiday Gift Ideas Under $50

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

It’s never too early to start shopping. Plus, it’s practically Thanksgiving, and we all know that after Thanksgiving the gift-buying season officially commences. So why not get a head start before you become so busy with finals that you don’t have time to shop? Here are some ideas for under $50 that should get you started…

LZ Pencils 

I first learned about these pencils on Instagram, and immediately wanted some for myself. They are handmade engraved pencils in bright, fun colors. If that wasn’t enough, they make pencil sets engraved with quotes from popular TV shows like Parks and Recreation, Grey’s Anatomy, and my personal favorite, The Mindy Project. These pencils will make studying way more fun and stylish! For every pencil sold, LZ Pencils will also donate an plain pencil to a school program in need so you can buy awesome pencils and support a great cause at the same time! What could be better?

*Note: Unfortunately, these pencils are so popular that only The Mindy Project pencils and custom engraved pencils are currently available for purchase. The link to the Etsy store is here

Mugs 

It sounds kind of simple and generic, but mugs can actually be a great (and inexpensive) gift. Contrary to popular beliefs, mugs are not just for coffee! In addition to all types of beverages, mugs can be used as room décor, and are a perfect place to store pens, pencils, and other items.  Whether it be a fun pattern, an inspirational quote, or a reference to a favorite TV show, mugs can be much more than standard white pottery! Here’s not one but two links to some fun mugs. 

Box signs 

If you step foot in my room, you will see that I am obsessed with box signs. They are great for decorating any space, and are super trendy! Many companies make box signs, but I personally like Primitives by Kathy. You can get box signs with inspirational quotes on them, or funny sayings that will make you smile when you see them. There are even signs for specific people, like parents or best friends, and signs for specific holidays and occasions. Whatever the saying, box signs are a great and relatively inexpensive gift that your friends and family are sure to love. 

Winter accessories 

Winter is coming, and you know what that means…it’s time for cozy scarves, warm gloves, and cute hats! As it gets colder, we all need to bundle up, and there’s no more useful gift that some stylish winter accessories. There are so many options for gifts: great infinity scarves, slouchy beanies, or my personal favorite, a knit headband to cover and warm your ears. Fun winter gear is sold practically everywhere, but one of my favorite spots to shop for these items is Nordstrom. Here’s the link

I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.