The 10 Stages of Being in the 24 Hour Musical

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

This past weekend, myself and 148+ Brandeis students participated in one of the biggest student-run theater events of the year: the 24 hour musical. For those who are unfamiliar with this event, the 24 hour musical happens every year at the beginning of the fall semester. The week before the show, auditions are held and a cast is made. On Saturday at 7pm, all of the actors and techies meet in the SCC theater and the production staff reveals the show and the cast. This year the show was the beloved High School Musical. After a crazy and unforgettable 24 hours, it is often hard to describe what the experience of being in 24 hour is like to other people. So I thought, what better people to help illustrate the emotions of 24 hour than the HSM cast themselves!

Anxiety 

The reveal of the show is highly anticipated by all who participate, especially the actors. Auditions are happening all week and the buildup is HUGE.

Excitement

OMG!! We finally found out the show and our cast! AHH YAY!!!

Shock

After roles are given out, the schedule for the next 24 hours is revealed. For the ensemble, this is no big deal. Just small bursts of rehearsal throughout the night and next day. For the leads, there will not be much sleep happening.

On the move!

Everyone is pumped and working hard into the night!

Tired.

It’s getting kind of late, but nothing worse than a normal late study night.

The Crash

It’s 3am, you’re singing, you’re dancing, why are you still awake?

6:00am

You just got 3 hours of sleep because you wake up at 6:00am after going to bed at 3:00am because that’s the experience.

Content

The day is going smoothly and you finally feel like you understand your choreography.

Excitement 2.0

It’s time!!! It’s 7:00pm the next day! It’s time to somehow perform a show that you all just somehow learned!

The Crash 2.0

The show is over! It was hilarious and sloppy and amazing and a whirlwind! Cast party? NOPE, everyone just goes to sleep!