10 Female Authors Every College Student Should Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Mary Shelley

Not only was Shelly  only 19 when she finished her famous novel, Frankenstein, but this book is also accredited with creating the entire genre of science fiction.

“”There is something at work in my soul which I do not understand…  which hurries me out of the common pathways of men, even to the wild sea and unvisited regions I am about to explore.”

Warsan Shire

Poet and activist, Shire was awarded the title of Young Poet Laureate for London in 2013. Poetry and quotes from her work, including her most successful book, Teaching My Mother How To Give Birth, is famously quoted and recited in Beyonce’s visual album, Lemonade

“My alone feels so good, I’ll only have you if you’re sweeter than my solitude.”

Sylvia Plath

The works of Sylvia Plath should be on any “must-read” list, due to the emotional depth and power of her work. Her book, The Bell Jar, will profoundly impact any woman, of any age, who takes the time to delve into some of the most tragic and true writing of the 20th century.

“I felt my lungs inflate with the onrush of scenery—air, mountains, trees, people. I thought, “This is what it is to be happy.”

Toni Morrison

Celebrated for her works exploring race relations, family dynamics, and evolving ideas of love, must-reads from Morrison include: The Bluest Eye, Sula, Song of Solomon, and Beloved.

“Somebody has to take responsibility for being a leader.”

Mindy Kaling

Kaling’s book, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, is not only one of the most relatable books for millennial women, but is also a tribute to Kaling’s successful comedy career.

“Sometimes you just have to put on lipgloss and pretend to be psyched.”

Sonia Sotomayor

Sotomayor’s autobiography, My Beloved World, should be required reading for any college student, especially those who are pre-law. In it, she describes her experiences being the first Supreme Court Justice of Hispanic heritage.

“You can’t be a minority in this country without someone expressing disapproval about affirmative action.”

Margaret Atwood

Atwood is currently one of the most bad-ass women in the scientification and dystopian genres. Her books, The Handmaid’s Tale and Oryx and Crake are revered across college campuses, as she continues to speak out to students and women about the power of literature.

“You’re never going to kill storytelling. Because it’s built into the human plan, we come with it.”

Maya Angelou

Maya Angelou has always been considered one of the great writers of the modern era. A civil rights activist, as well as a feminist, Angelou’s When The Caged Bird Sings, will foreseeably continue to influence future generations of women.

“Nothing will work unless you do.”

Mary Ann Evans (George Eliot)

Poet, author, and journalist, Mary Ann Evans was compelled to use the male pseudonym “George Eliot” in order to be taken seriously. Her books, such as Middlemarch and Silas Marner, are not only insightful, but also use subtle symbolism to discuss the class and gender structures of the 1800’s.

“In the man whose childhood has known caresses, there is always a fibre of memory that can be touched to gentle issues.”

Maxine Hong Kingston

Kingston’s works, including The Woman Warrior and China Men, are a unique blend of fiction and nonfiction that have been integral in Asian-American literature.

“I learned to make my mind large, as large as the universe is large, so that there is no room for paradoxes.”

Thumbnail image credit: Aiden Meyer

Emily Rae Foreman is a senior at Brandeis University studying Internationals and Global (IGS) studies with a double minor in Economics and Anthropology. She has been acting President of Her Campus Brandeis for two years, as well as a tour guide, an Undergraduate Department Representative for IGS, A writer for the Brandeis Politics Journal and Vice President of the Brandeis Society for International Affairs.