Women At Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

A couple of nights ago when I was browsing the Internet, I came across an article on Vogue.com titled “Under 21 and on the Cover of Vogue.” Little to my surprise, the three women shown in the photograph accompanying the piece are Claire Danes, Keira Knightley, and Natalie Portman. 

In the mere two and half weeks since starting my summer internship, I have found myself constantly thinking about women my age, 21, who have established themselves as enormously successful at such a young age. Seeing that in a few short months I will be starting my senior year of college, I can’t help but think about where I will be in just one year from now. Where will I live? What will I be doing? It makes me nervous to think about these daunting questions and realize that I have absolutely no idea as to their answers.

Some of the more recent under 21 year old women who have been featured on the cover of Vogue include Blake Lively and Kirsten Stewart. Emma Watson will also be joining this list soon as she is on the cover of Vogue’s upcoming July issue. These women are powerhouses within our society and I envy them for becoming icons before even being legal. Finding themselves on the cover of Vogue is only one of their many accomplishments. While they have been filming movies, representing Chanel, and posing for Vogue, what have I been doing? Attending Bowdoin athetic events, writing essays, and deciding whether to eat at Thorne or Moulton…

Given my newfound anxiety surrounding my future and my envy of women who have become renowned at such a young age, I have decided that in the coming weeks I am going to choose a different woman who I admire and write a brief article about why I have picked her. She will not necessarily be under 21, but she will be young, successful, and noteworthy. 

Keep your eye out for my first featured woman in the days to come!