Raid My Closet: Lyne Lucien ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

Hello HerCampus readers. I’m back with another edition of ‘Raid My Closet’ to spotlight some funky fashion on campus. This week is the ever surprising and striking Lyne Lucien, Class of 2013.

I simply adore Lyne’s fashion sense. Her signature style has been on my radar for a while. When deciding my next victim to raid their closet, Lyne was a clear choice.

George: How did you find your style?

Lyne: I didn’t really get into fashion until I went abroad junior year to Germany. The Fashion in Germany is Loud. It is eclectic and weird. It is separate in boroughs much like New York so there is wide range of style. One area could be very retro, while another borough is very punk. People just convey stark messages through their clothes no matter what they wear whether they are junk posh or bohemian. Thrifting is huge. You can find some really cool things really cheap. There is also a huge Hipster culture, like nothing that I have ever seen in the states. People mix and match patterns. They wear all black outfits in cool ways because the focus lies in the structure of the pieces.

George: Since your fashion awakening in Germany, how would you describe your personal style?

Lyne: A blend of bohemian, pin-up & retro.

George: Which figures in pop culture inspire you?

Lyne: I love Solange Knowles, Lana Del Rey, and Jackie O. Also, I’m inspired by eras. I adore the 50’s.

George: Now that you’re back in states. Where do you shop?

Lyne: In Berlin, I shopped everywhere. In outlet stores, thrift stores, on the streets, and at huge malls. Now I shop at American Apparel, LF, Urban Outfitters, Buffalo Exchange, and Zara.

George: Who is your favorite designer?

Lyne: Alexander McQueen. I love avant-garde fashion. I would love to be a tamer every day version of Lady Gaga.

George: How would you describe the Bowdoin fashion scene?

Lyne: (She immediately points to a pair of hunter boots in her closet). The style is very homogenous. Bean boots and lots of flannel. Although the lines are clean and classic, there is a dearth of fashion diversity.

George: Any last comments or suggestions for our HerCampus readers.

Lyne: Take risks! That’s the only way you can discover your own personal style. Trial and error. Also, dress for your own body type. Work with your body. 

Marissa is a senior at Bowdoin College, majoring in Government and minoring in English. She's interned with NPR, The Christian Science Monitor and ELLE.com. In her spare time she enjoys writing poetry, baking cupcakes, tweeting, and admiring the big dipper. She hopes to live in a lighthouse someday, with 27 cats and a good set of watercolors.