New Makeup Looks Inspired By Your Favorite TV Characters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

Looking for new makeup ideas? Here are 3 cool looks perfect for everyday wear, inspired by our favorite TV shows!

Downton Abbey

Though these stunning ladies who live in the most drama-filled estate in all of England are technically bare-faced, you can re-create their English refinery with these steps:

For a fresh, dewy glow, start with a BB Cream followed by a light pink cream blush. To get the ladies’ signature arches, fill in brows with an angle brush dipped in brow powder (if you don’t have brow powder, a matte eye shadow in taupe, charcoal, or brown will do). Pat a raspberry lipstick onto your lips with your finger, making sure to blend evenly. Practice your curtsey!

Modern Family

Sofia Vergara is best known as the feisty (and funny!) Gloria Pritchett on ABC’s Modern Family. Even if we’re not quite as well-endowed as this bodacious Latina, we can emulate her sultry makeup to look great for a night out:

Use bronzer on your cheekbones, forehead, nose, chin, and jawline. Blend down the edges of your neck to the tops of your shoulders. Sweep a dusty rose blush onto the apples of your cheeks. Apply a shimmery gold shadow to your lids (lashline to brow), and a deep brown shadow in the crease and on the lower lashline. Be sure to concentrate the pigment on the outer corners and blend inwards. Line your eyes with a creamy brown pencil, curl lashes, and apply two generous coats of black mascara to top and bottom lashes. An important element of Gloria’s look is her brow shape: when filling in brows, turn the angle brush vertically and apply feathery, up-and-down strokes to the inner corners of your eyebrows, then gradually turn the brush horizontally as you move towards the outer corners of the brows. Line lips with a rosy-neutral pencil and fill them in, then apply a deep mauve lipstick. Aye Jay!

Mad Men

Mid-century mod has never looked so appealing as when worn by the sirens of Mad Men. Women started experimenting more with make up in this era, and so should you!

Be sure to start with a very even base. Apply foundation and powder if necessary. In lieu of blush, sweep a powder several shades darker than your skin tone on the apples of your cheeks and blend up towards your ear. Use a light, neutral matte shade to contour the eye area: with a stiff angle brush, outline a cat-eye shape in the crease, bringing the shape to a point in line with the outer corner of you brow and the outer corner of your eye. Take a liquid liner and paint a thin line across the top lash, gently flicking the line up into a small extension at the corner of the eye. The placement of the cat-eye point depends on your eye shape and will take practice to determine what looks best on you. If you aren’t used to working with liquid liner, use a black cream pencil first, then layer the liquid on top. Take a white eye pencil to your lower water line so your eyes pop. Curl lashes and apply mascara to top lashes only. The best part about this look is that about any matte lip color will work well. Pick your favorite! We recommend classic red, petal pink, or coral.

Margot is a Bowdoin College senior and native Atlantan. An English and theater interdisciplinary major, she enjoys acting, blogging about Bowdoin style, and interning with the Bowdoin College Office of Communications. She is determined to move to New York City after graduation and work in PR, digital media and fashion. A significant amount of her time is spent in Bowdoin's number-one dining halls in anticipation of the many bowls of ramen that will be her sustainance post-graduation.