Margaret Lindeman ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

Major: Earth & Oceanographic Science and MathHometown: Brooklyn/Kingston, NYRelationship Status: singleCampus Activities: Ursus Verses, ResLife, Choir, Oceanography TA

HC: What do you look for in a potential partner?ML: “Sense of humor is key. You can’t be too cool to appreciate my terrible puns. Beyond that, I love people who are smart and passionate and not afraid to show it (i.e. nerds). It also helps to have great playlists and be reasonably nice/thoughtful/caring.”

HC: What are some of your biggest turn-offs? ML: “One time I went on a date with this guy who constantly interrupted me to tell long stories about himself and it was the worst. Also, if you call me “hon” in a condescending way while explaining something, I’ll probably never move on. (Except from you. Immediately.)”

HC: What would you do on your dream date?ML: “My dream Bowdoin date would probably be going to the Giant Stairs on Bailey Island on a beautiful sunny afternoon (would have to be with someone who could handle — though not necessarily share — my excitement about how cool the rocks are). Then we’d cook dinner together while listening to music and making fun of each other about how bad we are at cooking (or maybe just how bad I am at cooking), but it would still be delicious, and we’d watch a movie and cuddle, because who doesn’t love cuddling? Except halfway through the movie we’d start talking and realize we are more interested in each other than the movie (but still finish it later because you gotta know how it ends).”

HC: What’s your best quality?ML: “I am way too sassy (also arguably my worst quality) and I will make you laugh or embarrass myself horribly trying. Also, I’m a pretty good listener (#proctor4lyfe).”

HC: What are some causes or issues that matter to you?ML: “There are a lot, but climate change is one of them. Partly because science, but it’s also a really huge human issue and I think that gets lost sometimes. There are a lot of people (students and faculty) at Bowdoin doing really great work around this problem and it’s something I want to keep working on as I go on as an oceanographer…how do we communicate about science in a way that is engaging and constructive? Personally I think talking about the ocean is pretty rad, so it can be hard to remember that others do not necessarily feel the same way. But it’s super important, because science for its own sake is fun, but there’s so much potential to connect with people over issues that are actually going to be really relevant to their lives and maybe even solve some of the problems.”

HC: What’s a fun fact about yourself?ML: “I’ve lived in first year dorms every single year at Bowdoin. I was probably your proctor. (I get confused for a first year approximately as often as I get confused for a professor.)”

HC: Do you have advice for anyone that wants to get to know you better?ML: “I’m torn between ‘you have two weeks, so hurry up’ and ‘life totally goes on after commencement (I think).’ But anyway, between now and then, you can probably find me on the quad offering sunscreen to people, playing with passing dogs, chatting with Barry Mills at every opportunity, and hopefully also finishing my math project so I can actually graduate.”

Kylie is a junior neuroscience major at Bowdoin College. When she’s not writing or editing pieces for Her Campus, you can find her playing with animals at the local animal shelter, tripping over tree roots on her daily run, or re-reading her favorite literary trilogies. She's currently obsessed with burgundy pedicures, Laini Taylor novels, Fly Art hoodies, and french fries.