Making the Switch…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

Making the Switch…

Here are three everyday health-conscious food choices that can be made in the dinning hall and the Café!

Almond Milk vs. Cow’s Milk

The healthier choice: Almond Milk

Make your after-dinner-cereal dessert healthier and sweeter by substituting almond milk for cow’s milk! Almond milk is a popular milk substitute that is made by mixing finely ground almonds with water. With only 60 calories per 1 cup serving and zero saturated fat, almond milk is high in a number of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E, manganese, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, selenium, iron, fiber, zinc and calcium. Cows milk contains more calories and fat than almond milk, as well as saturated fat and cholesterol, making almond milk the healthier choice.  Both Thorne and Moulton have Almond milk almost everyday in their fridges! 

Lettuce vs. Spinach

The healthier choice: Spinach

While both spinach and lettuce are very healthy options, spinach has almost twice the amount of essential nutrients, vitamins, and protein than lettuce has! Spinach also contains more fiber and minerals including magnesium, phosphorus and potassium than any of the four lettuce types. In addition, it can help lower cholesterol. Moulton consistently has spinach in the salad bar and Thorne does a few times a week! 

In a Sunrise Smoothie from the Café : Half and Half and Vanilla flavoring vs. Skim milk and Sugar-free Vanilla flavoring

The healthier choice: Skim milk and Sugar-free Vanilla flavoring

The infamous Sunrise Smoothie – it’s a delicious breakfast option when you are in a rush or didn’t get to the dining hall in time (or even just as a late-night snack…).  Little did you know that hiding under that delectable façade is 4oz of half and half and vanilla sweetener. While half and half and skim milk both provide healthy amounts of calcium and protein, half and half is significantly higher in calories, cholesterol, and fat. Skim milk has 0% fat; half and half has 10-18%. The vanilla flavoring added to the Sunrise Smoothie has 70 calories per serving, and the sugar-free has 0 calories. By making these switches, the Sunrise Smoothie becomes a healthier breakfast option that you don’t feel guilty indulging in. 

Sources:

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/baby-spinach-vs-lettuce-2789.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/531735-nutrition-information-of-milk-vs-half-and-half/