Katelyn Suchyta ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

Major/minor: math and biologyHometown: South Barrington, IL (Northwest suburbs of Chicago, about 45 minutes outside the city)Relationship Status: SingleCampus Activities: cross-country running, interning at Maine Medical Center, member of the Food Co-op

HC: Do you have any nicknames?KS: “No. I hate the name Katie, which only my older sister calls me.  She used to do it to annoy me, but eventually I gave up correcting her and the name just stuck.”

HC: What do you look for in a significant other?  KS: “A cute athletic boy that’s my age or older. Someone super passionate about learning. He must have a good smile and be compassionate. He has to be at least 6’1”. I have high expectations. Blue eyes and blonde hair are also pluses.” 

HC: If you could throw any kind of party, what would it be like?  KS: “Oh gosh, can you make something up for me? Umm, I’d throw a dance party where we drink fruity drinks. There would be lots of…pink. It’d be with all of my girlfriends, and there would be pop-music, dancing, and a comfortable atmosphere where everyone is able to be themselves.” 

HC: If you could choose to stay a certain age forever, what age would it be?  KS: “I would choose my mid-twenties because you have your whole life ahead of you. It’s the dating-age, and you aren’t faced with the real world quite yet, but you’re able to be independent and enjoy life.”

HC: If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to?  KS: “Well, I love the name Haley; that’s what I’m going to name my first daughter. But I think Katelyn suits me pretty well, so I don’t think I’d change it.”

HC: If you could be a fictional character, which one would you be?  KS: “I would choose one of the Disney princesses. I just don’t know of many fictional characters. Maybe someone on Grey’s Anatomy, does that count? Well, actually, I’d be Addison Montgomery from Private Practice. She’s a big-shot doctor who lives on the coast of California. She has the life I dream of!”

HC: What do you want to be when you grow up? KS: “A pediatrician. I don’t want to be a general pediatrician, though. I want to specialize in something. Currently I’m thinking about oncology, because I love connecting with patients on a long term basis, and I think it is such an important field where you are constantly learning. I just want a job that I love where I am able to help kids and learn new things.”

HC: What songs would you put on the soundtrack to your life? KS: “Taylor Swift, obviously. “Shake It Off”, I dunno. A Cheetah Girls song, “Fancy” by Iggy Azalea, and “Do You Like You” by Colbie Caillat.”

HC: What’s one of your most embarrassing moments at Bowdoin?  KS: “I was filling up my water bottle at Moulton when this cute, blonde boy walked up next to me. I got so flustered and distracted that the water spilled everywhere, and I ran away. I don’t even think he said anything to me.”

HC: What’s an experience that made you a stronger person? KS: “I think just coming to college. It hasn’t changed me a lot, but it forced me to grow up. I come from a tight-knit family and I had never been separated from my parents or siblings for a long period of time. I had never been to Maine before, and I didn’t know anyone. I had to figure out who I was, find things that made me happy, and meet new people. I just think that that experience made me grow up and become independent.”  

HC: What’s a story that your family always tells about you?  KS: “There was this one time when my family went out for my little sister Ashley’s birthday. We went to our favorite restaurant, and she ordered a cheese pizza.  She gets it almost every time we go to Pilot Pete’s. We were all enjoying our food, when all of a sudden, my mom starts screaming, ‘Roger, she’s choking!’ Everyone was freaking out but doing nothing, and I just got up and started yanking the cheese out of her mouth, ‘cause it’s so stringy, you know? I dunno, I think I’m good at reacting under stressful situations. And I like to think I basically saved her life. She owes me big time!”

Ally is currently a junior at Bowdoin College majoring in neuroscience. She is compulsively drawn to multi-colored designs and objects, various running gear, and skimming interesting scientific journals. Few know of her secret succulent, Lucy, that resides and thrives in her dorm bathroom. Lucy is the longest known plant under Ally's care.
Kylie is a junior neuroscience major at Bowdoin College. When she’s not writing or editing pieces for Her Campus, you can find her playing with animals at the local animal shelter, tripping over tree roots on her daily run, or re-reading her favorite literary trilogies. She's currently obsessed with burgundy pedicures, Laini Taylor novels, Fly Art hoodies, and french fries.