This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity, Jill Berkman ’12, is one of the captain’s of the women’s volleyball team. This season has been the most successful in Bowdoin volleyball history, with a record of 27-3. The team won the program’s first ever NESCAC Championship, advancing them to the NCAA tournament. 

HC: What do you think has led to your success in becoming the top-seeded team this season? 

Jill: I think our work this season started last February 15th when we started pre-season. We started this season prepared. We also all fully believed we could achieve our common goal to win Nescacs. 

HC: What has been your favorite moment of the season so far? What has been your proudest moment?

Jill: My favorite moment so far would have to be winning watching the championship game and knowing that we were going to win. The team played great, there was no doubt in my mind once the game started that we would end up on top. My proudest moment would be in games like Williams and Middlebury where we came back from behind. Middlebury game we were down 14-9 in a tiebreaker to 15 and came back and one. That takes mental toughness that many teams don’t have. 

HC: Which game, if one in particular, was the most rewarding to win?

Jill: The seniors had never beaten Middlebury or Williams so that was very rewarding. (obviously the championship as well)

HC: If you had to describe your team in one word what would it be?

Jill: Cats

HC: What do you hope the team takes away from your leadership as a captain?

Jill: I hope they take away that they are amazing girls and shouldn’t be afraid to dream big. They can accomplish anything. 

HC: What has been your best moment with the team off the court?

Jill: We are quite the pepper-flipping team; i’d have to say most team meals. 

HC: What will you miss most about the team and playing volleyball next year? 

Jill: I’ll miss the individuals. I know we’ll keep in touch so I’m not too worried. It is hard for me to imagine not being on Bowdoin Volleyball and Bowdoin Volleyball not having me on it. I’m going to try to keep playing after work hours next year.