This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.
Coretta King ’12 is a Campus Celebrity for her amazing talent as a musician. Her Campus decided to feature Coretta this week in an attempt to learn more about her musical background, her role models, and her goals for the future. 

HC: When did your music career begin?

Coretta: Well I have been surrounded by music since I was 3 years old. I know it sounds cliché, but music has surrounded me all my life pretty much through—whether it was through church, school choirs, a cappella. I did not begin to think I could actually make a career out of it seriously until sophomore year of college, surprisingly (since it has always been a big part of my life). However, the summer before sophomore year (2009) at Bowdoin, I began putting my songwriting and singing into studio spaces, and got addicted. It’s like it became a unified trilogy or something. I had already been performing, playing the piano in church, and then started to collaborate with other artists in recording sessions before that summer. Then, I felt an urge to record my own material. First, just to see what it would sound like because I always wanted to try it deep down. Second, to see how people would react or even if they would be interested in it period. Also, this period in my life was a transitioning point for me on a personal level. I started becoming more confident in my craft and wanted to take new risks of sharing my music on a different level, which so far I am glad I found the courage to do so. 

HC: Who are your role models/ Who do you aspire to be like?

Coretta: I really pay close attention to artists, like Alicia Keys, India Arie, Sam Cooke, Prince, Maxwell even newer artists on the music scene, like Janelle Monae. I desire to send a positive and supportive message through what I sing. I like to inspire people—motivate and spiritually connect with them. It’s therapy. I feel like the artists I mentioned are able to do this in their own style. They all have multiple instruments, with singing in the forefront, and implement them well into their artistry. I aspire to be like that. 

HC: What is your favorite type of music to sing?

Coretta: Wellllll, I am very well-rounded when it comes to music, which has developed my artistry into what it is today. It would be unfair to give favor to just one style, because I play around with and take from various genres and incorporate it in various ways in my own music. I grew up singing, playing, and listening to gospel music, which I still cherish and will always keep close to my discipline in what I write and perform. Being that I was in choral choirs up through high school, I can hear the ballad, classical vibes in my piano playing even when I was playing at my church before coming to Bowdoin. However, I also like the life and reality in soul, R&B, and neo-soul, and find myself in the middle of all of these. Haha, yeah I cannot answer this question lightly because when the music sounds good and speaks to me, it does not matter what genre it is. All I want to do is sample or cover or create from what I hear and make it my own.

HC: Do you like singing solo or with a group?

Coretta: I have been a part of singing groups (e.g., choirs, etc.) since I was little, which has kept me grounded and surrounded by music when I was not able to do my own projects. I did solo acts for fundraisers, school events, and talent shows on various occasions. However, I was academically engrossed, striving to get into the best schools and keep my grades up in high school, so mostly all the time I had to really be into music was in the groups I mentioned. However, I really like the freedom that comes with singing solo. I can play by my own rules. It’s like an adrenaline rush and challenge for me that has to do with focus of developing my craft on my own terms. It’s like being your own boss. I like to collaborate, don’t get me wrong. But I like the ability to have my own space to sing. Not to be selfish, but it’s nice (scary at times too) to be able to have all eyes on you and listening to what you have to say. When you put your gifts in action, I feel a special possession to it that I like to control. However, I will say it would not be possible to make my aspirations of a solo career possible if it was not for having other live musicians back me up when I need it. I like the acoustic solo vibe of performing as well as the concert-live big band stage atmospheres as well. It gives me options and more opportunities. It gives me agency to translate my ideas into performance as little or as big as I please. 

HC: What is your favorite song right now?

Coretta: Ahhh, so unfair. (There are many songs that keep me moving through the day, motivate me to get in my zone of singing and performing). Since I believe music is so supportive and therapeutic to my life, I will say the first song that came to mind is Beyonce’s song, “I Was Here”, off of her new album, 4. “I was here, I lived, I loved…” I want to be able to look back years from now and to say that the lyrics in that song came true for me. This song really makes you think about what am I really doing with my life. If I was to die today, would I at least have made an impact on the world around me in some way? I feel like this song motivates me to live out my purpose, and shine my light—use it to benefit others. I do not want to live life in vain. I challenge myself each day to be supportive, a role model, a mentor, a friend, and just be genuinely Coretta King–by being around others as well as by channeling it through my music. 

HC: Where will your music career take you after college?

Coretta: definitely would like to take it back to the south. The southern girl in me is like blood running warm through my veins. I would like to move back that way. I am thinking about Atlanta at the moment, yet I am keeping my options open. However, I will continue to record, perform, and hope to get more people to join my movement. I have other career goals that I would like to pursue as well. But I will be devoting more time to pushing my music to the next level. Hopefully, you will be hearing my music on the radio soon and even get to the point where I can tour. I like to travel and be on stage. It’s an adrenaline rush for me. Life is like a book, it can change with a turn of a page. With that being said, I try not to take anything I do for granted. However, I do work hard to be all that I can with my music, so hopefully my actions will be seen in a bigger scene soon enough. For those who would like to follow my movement (music, performances, etc.), check out and join my facebook page: http://facebook.com/corettakingmovement, youtube: corettakingmusic, my website: http://misscorettaking.com, or follow me on twitter: misscorettaking. The movement has begun–as you can see by looking at the material I have on these sites. Now, I am just taking it each day at a time, staying focused, open-minded, and grounded. I am letting all of my hard work run its course. Hopefully, more and more people will support my endeavors and what helps me breathe better each day—my passion for music. 

Photo credit:
http://www.misscorettaking.com/?page_id=66