Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Bowdoin Celebrities

Tristan McCormick and Connor Smith '13

By Daisy Alioto
April 26, 2013 - 12:51pm

The idea for an Ivies app started out as a simple enough concept: a countdown to the most hyped week(end) of the year accompanied by the question, “Is it Ivies yet?” Now that Ivies is upon us, I can’t help but give thanks that the brainchild of Tristan McCormick  ’13 and Connor Smith ’13, with graphics by Youngshim Hwang ’13, has evolved to be the functional ‘Ivies Companion’. Still don’t know your limits? Track your BAC with Ivies Companion. Are you ‘killing it’? Transpose the words ‘Killing it’ on your classiest Ivies photos just so that’s clear. Wanna call Randy? No need to scroll through your contacts… READ MORE

Sebastian Bamba: Team Thorne, ResLife, and Beyonce

By Emily Serwer
April 12, 2013 - 4:35pm

Full name: Lars Sebastian Bamba   Nickname: Sebastian   Class:  2014   Hometown: West Orange, NJ   Relationship status: Single    Favorite movie: Right now it has to be Pitch Perfect READ MORE

Jarred Kennedy-Loving '15

By Daisy Alioto
April 5, 2013 - 11:55pm

In late March, my newsfeed was full of proud and awed friends sharing Outsports’ profile of Jarred Kennedy-Loving ’15. Jarred talked about the experience of coming out as gay, and coming into his dance and Gender and Women’s Studies interests. He also touched on the importance of challenging gender stereotypes, such as the accepted meaning of 'manhood'. READ MORE

Amy Heggie, Circulation Supervisor

By Daisy Alioto
March 29, 2013 - 11:53pm

If you’ve requested a book from Bates, or sidled over to the H-L library counter to borrow a pen, chances are you’ve seen Circulation Supervisor Amy Heggie. Current students won’t have met Amy prior to the summer of 2011, but Amy worked in H-L for over a decade before leaving in 2005 to manage a horse farm in New Hampshire. She dipped into the corporate world too, but—feeling pangs of separation for academia—took a position in the library at Colby. “As much as I enjoyed Colby, I missed Bowdoin,” Amy says. “I didn’t leave Bowdoin because I didn’t like it,” she adds, “I left for my dream job and came back because I missed Bowdoin.” READ MORE

Campus Celebrities: Fhiwa Ndou and Asher Stamell

By Emily Koenig
March 8, 2013 - 11:29pm

This week's campus celebrities are Fhiwa Ndou and Asher Stamell, both '13. You might know them as the hosts of DDGF (aka the kids that held up the giant sign at the Nescac Finals). HerCampus Bowdoin asked them about their expereince hosting the party this year:  READ MORE

Bowdoin Women's Hockey: Senior Spirit

By Daisy Alioto
March 1, 2013 - 11:25pm

The Bowdoin Women's Hockey team has had an incredible season, leading to the NESCAC Semifinals--which commence at Middlebury tomorrow. This second-seeded team will take on third-seeded Amherst in an effort to claim the NESCAC championship for the first time since 2004, as well as earn a bid to the NCAA tournament. READ MORE

Campus Celebrity: Jenni Stobiecki

By Tasha Yektayi
February 22, 2013 - 6:51pm

You may have seen the odd posters hanging in the union featuring a fish with a tie and warnings of gun violence. Unusual content, considering these posters are advertising a play. However, it’s not that strange if you know the personality behind them – a woman whose journey to create this play has been anything but average. Jenni Stobiecki, a senior from Cerritos, CA, finishing up an impressive interdisciplinary major of English & Theater, is the creative mind behind Bowdoin's upcoming spring play, Den of Thieves. READ MORE

Professors Yarbrough and Conly: Teaching Love

By Daisy Alioto
February 15, 2013 - 10:50pm

Love was in the air this week, and displayed prominently in every store window. While we enjoyed a few days of "consuming" love in the form of sugar cookies—and the Dining Halls' infamous chocolate soup—some students will spend the whole semester treating love as a topic for classroom discussion. We're shining our spotlight on the two professors who make this intellectual discourse possible... Professor Jean Yarbrough READ MORE

Emily Ausubel '13: A V-Day Legacy

By Daisy Alioto
February 8, 2013 - 3:34pm

When Emily Ausubel ’13 was a first year, she already had a meaningful connection to V-Day and 'The Vagina Monologues'—her sister. Ausubel’s sibling headed Bowdoin’s V-Day and directed 'The Vagina Monologues', encouraging her younger sister to join the effort. READ MORE

Anissa Tanksley '14: On Discomfort and Discovery

By Chelsea Bruno
November 16, 2012 - 7:15pm

Hometown? San Jose, California Major? Russian   So this year you’re involved with the rugby team, the women’s resource center, and you work at the library? Any other activities filling your time?   That about sums it up.   Tell me how your role as such an integral part of the women’s rugby team has shaped your Bowdoin experience? READ MORE