8 Most Common Yaks at Bowdoin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowdoin chapter.

The Bowdoin Yik Yak feed is thankfully more intellectual than one might expect from an anonymous social media app. Although there are often some pretty creative posts, it’s easy to spot the trends in what we post. Most Bowdoin yaks fall into one of these categories:

1. The Cuddle-Solicitor YakThis yak, typically posted in the wee hours of the morning, begs for intimacy. The Maine winters make cuddling more appealing than usual, so this one gets posted pretty frequently. Responses include suggestions to do something about it, requests to stop posting this on Yik Yak, and occasionally another interested cuddler.

2. The Weather YakWe live in Maine, and there is snow on the ground. Weather yaks are variations of this sentiment.  Sometimes, it will get up to a balmy 30 degrees. Other times, the massive piles of snow will prevent us from safely crossing the street. The shared experience of a Maine winter brings Bowdoin students together and guarantees the poster a few up-votes.

3. The Universal Awkwardness YakThis yak admits to one of the awkward moments we all share. Whether it’s attempting to flirt with an attractive classmate or wondering whether you should make eye contact with a professor on the quad, life’s daily awkwardness always comes out on Yik Yak.

4. The Food YakWith Bowdoin dining, raving about our food is inevitable. Excitement over chicken tenders or the availability of Moose Tracks at the sundae bar cannot be contained and must be shared on the Internet.

5. The Stress YakPapers, exams, and readings are part of daily life for a Bowdoin student, but sometimes they pile up into what’s commonly known as a “hell week.” Oftentimes, this yakker will proudly share the extremes to which they have gone to complete their work.

6. The Sex YakA collegiate social media app would be incomplete without the regular discussion of sex. Masturbation, trying to find a hookup, or unquenchable thirst all fall under this category.

7. The Poop YakWhere else can Bowdoin students discuss their bowel movements if not on the Internet? Add to that the tendency to check Yik Yak from the toilet, and feces ends up in the mix of yaks pretty frequently. How long it’s been since you last went, how it’s going, or the struggle of doing it in a public restroom are all common to this yak. We feel your pain.

8. The Trending Comments”Kote?” “Hmu if u wanna chill.” Recycling emoji. You know what I’m talking about.

Hey there! I'm a sophomore at Bowdoin College majoring in Computer Science and English. I live in Howell House, and I love to write and play my ukulele. I also have a radio show!