This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

Summer has finally arrived! It’s time to get out there and soak up some Vitamin D; nothing beats the fun you can have in the sun!

We all love summer. We do! The sun is out, days are long and nights are warm. Time seems to stand still, and it feels like it will never end. We get to break out our sandals, let our hair dry naturally and embrace the minimal “natural” look with our makeup.

However, not everyone is thrilled throughout the whole season. Sometimes the heat is a little too hot. Sometimes that sun is a little too bright. And sometimes, we run into some beauty speedbumps along the otherwise smooth sailing of summer.

That Perfect Bikini Body

Sometimes that bikini bod just isn’t in the cards. You can work and work towards it, but if your body type isn’t “stick” then you probably won’t look like you stepped out of Victoria’s Secret’s Swimwear ad. Shake it off; remember that you know your body best, and while that bump or blemish may stick out like a sore thumb to you, odds are the people around you won’t even notice. Confidence is key!

Tanning

Oh, tanning. We all want that gorgeous sun-kissed glow that we see in the magazines, and we’ll do almost anything to get it. Unfortunately for some of us, not everyone can get that glow. You go from paper to lobster in fifteen minutes, and no amount of self-tanner ever works…you just wind up looking like a certain Presidential candidate.

Beach Waves

There are TONS of how-to’s out there to tell you how to achieve those flawless loose waves that look like you just stepped off the beach after a day spent surfing. For some of us, though, Heat + Water = Humidity….which leads to a giant ball of frizz on the top of your head. Those waves just don’t work for us, because even when we do manage that perfect curl, within just a few hours we look like the Bride of Frankenstein.

Heat & Makeup? No Go.

I think we can all agree that heat is your face’s worst enemy. Heat means sweat, and sweat means streaks. Come to think of it, maybe that’s why “natural” is the look of summer months…less chance of looking like Madame Matchmaker!

SHAVING.

The time for cute shorts, swimwear, skirts and sundresses has arrived! Which means it’s time to pull out the razor. Some women may choose not to shave, but I think at this point that they are the minority…if, like me, you feel that the best part of winter is getting to be lazy about shaving (there’s not really a point when you have prickles the minute you step out of the shower), you’re mourning the arrival of shaving season.

Dakota Brown

Boise State

Dakota Brown is our Managing Editor here at Her Campus Boise State! She loves all things literature; an avid reader who also writes whenever possible, she aspires to having a future in publications editing. In her free time (aside from reading and writing), Dakota can be found drinking copious amounts of coffee, baking, and spending quality time with her dog, Kili, and her hedgehog, Lily.