HC Frugal Foodie: Mom’s No-Bake Cookies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

Have you ever been involved in a last minute party or get-together and had no idea what to bring?

If ever you’re in need of a quick dessert, or craving cookies without the baking time, nothing quite beats the traditional no-bake cookie. This recipe is simple, delicious, and requires very little time or preparation! Depending on your preference or needs, this recipe can either be made as a drop cookie (often called haystacks) or spread into a pan and served as a bar.

What I like most about this particular recipe is that it combines some of my favorite things: peanut butter, chocolate and coconut!

Ingredients:

2 cups sugar

¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder

½ cup milk

½ cup margarine or butter

1 cup peanut butter (I prefer crunchy for some added texture!)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups quick oats

1 cup coconut

In a large pot, combine sugar, cocoa, milk and butter; bring the mixture to a low boil over medium heat.

Remove from heat and mix in the peanut butter and vanilla, then add in oats and coconut. Blend until well combined.

Drop spoonfuls onto parchment paper for cookies or spread into a lightly greased 13×9 pan for bars. Refrigerate until set. Enjoy!

Dakota Brown

Boise State

Dakota Brown is our Managing Editor here at Her Campus Boise State! She loves all things literature; an avid reader who also writes whenever possible, she aspires to having a future in publications editing. In her free time (aside from reading and writing), Dakota can be found drinking copious amounts of coffee, baking, and spending quality time with her dog, Kili, and her hedgehog, Lily.