10 of the Best Chick Flicks of All Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

We’ve all been there: we’re planning a girls’ night in and we can’t figure out what movies to play! Don’t panic; we here at Her Campus Boise State have put together a list of 10 of the BEST chick flicks of all time!

1. Mean Girls (2004)

If you have not seen this movie yet, you need to drop everything and go see it. Currently on Netflix, you have no excuses. The movie is filled with consistent one liners that people still use on a daily basis. Finally watching it will allow you to take part in these conversations and appreciate your friends’ humor.

Most memorable line (While there may be too many to list, this is my personal favorite):

“It’s like I have ESPN or something.”

2. John Tucker Must Die (2006)

The story of three girls getting back at an ex-boyfriend who had cheated on all of them, the girls take the new girl under their wing in order to unleash their own personal war against John Tucker. This movie is perfect for those days where you feel anger toward an ex or anyone in general.

Most memorable line:

“Dude, I’m deep. I’m dating the poetry club.”

3. She’s the Man (2006)

One of my personal all-time favorites, this movie is a great girls’ night movie. It tells the story of Viola Davis who decides to take her twin brothers place at a boarding school in order to prove to her ex- boyfriend and school that girls can play soccer and beat boys while they are at it. Along the way there are multiple bumps, including a guy who goes by the name of Channing Tatum…

Most memorable lines:

Toby: “I need your advice man. I got lady troubles.”

Viola: “I’m here for you bro. I got a lifetime of knowledge.”

4. Pretty in Pink (1986)

A true 80’s classic high school movie that star Molly Ringwald.  It tells the story of cliques in high school and how they can affect people. What happens when the popular kid suddenly wants to go to prom with the poor girl?

Most memorable line:

“We don’t have none of this stuff in the boy’s room! Wait a minute! We don’t got none of this… we don’t got doors on the stalls in the boy’s room, we don’t have, what is this? What’s this? We don’t have a candy machine in the boy’s room!”

5. Miss Congeniality (2000)

This tells the story of an FBI agent who must go undercover as a contestant in a Miss America pageant. Starring Sandra Bullock, this movie is exciting and filled with hysterical moments. Such moments as playing the water glasses and seeing an FBI agent learn how to be a beauty queen will keep you entertained. This movie shows that any woman can kick serious butt.

Most memorable line:

“I am in a dress, I have gel in my hair, I haven’t slept all night, I’m starved, AND I’m armed! Don’t MESS with me!”

6. Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion (1997)

This movie tells the story of what happens when two best friends go on a road trip to their 10-year high school reunion. Along the way they concoct different lies and stories to tell their former classmates about how their lives are now. This movie is especially fun to watch with old high school classmates to laugh and then come up with some elaborate plans of what you would do and say at your future reunions. 

Most memorable lines: 

Michele: “Did you lose weight?”

Romy: “Actually, I have been trying this new fat free diet I invented. All I’ve had to eat for the past six days are gummy bears, jelly beans, and candy corns.”

Michele: “God, I wish I had your discipline.”

7. The Princess Diaries (2001)

What would you do if you discovered you were the princess of a foreign country? This movie tells the story of a clumsy awkward high school girl who discovers her deceased father was the Crown Prince of a European country. She then must go on a journey to become a proper princess for the citizens of Genovia.

Most memorable line:

“I have never put on pantyhose before, but it sounds dangerous.”

8. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003)

When a magazine reporter and a ladies man come head to head. One’s trying to lose the guy, the other is trying to make her fall in love with him. Sounds like a recipe for disaster and some interesting moments.

Most memorable lines:

Andie: “Our love fern! You let it die!”

Ben: “No, honey, it’s just sleeping.”

9. Legally Blonde (2001)

What happens when a sorority girl gets accepted into Harvard law? Anything is possible. Reese Witherspoon plays a girl named Elle Woods who is accepted into law school in order to win over her ex-boyfriends heart again. When she gets there she finds herself and it wasn’t because of some boy. With moves like the bend and snap, it has lessons for every girl!

Most memorable line:

“Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands.”

10. 13 Going on 30 (2004)

What would you do if you woke up one day and miraculously had gotten older? Celebrate? Freak out? How about all of the above. This movie tells the story of a girl who was 13 then woke up to be 30. She then discovers that her life had not been one to be proud of. Can she fix it all? Will she ever go back in time to ensure this never happens?

Most memorable lines:

Becky: I like your dress.

Jenna: That’s because I have these incredible boobs to fill it out!

Sydney Nassar

Boise State

Sydney is a social work major at Boise State. On campus she enjoys attending sporting events and hanging out with her friends avoiding impending deadlines. You can often find her day dreaming of the beach and European cobblestone streets.