When Syllabus Week Doesn’t Go as Planned

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

So it’s the second week of classes and you realize that you actually have work due, and suddenly it hits you that syllabus week wasn’t a syllabus week at all. 

Let’s face it, we all expected to walk into class last week, sit in the class, pray you know at least one person and have the professor just give us the syllabus- which we as students only look at for the attendance policy.

Then suddenly the unthinkable happens *dun dun dun* and the projector turns on… the screen starts to lower…and a PowerPoint titled “Chapter One” appears. Inside your head you’re like “holy sh*t, I didn’t even bring a pencil!” What ever happened to going around the room awkwardly introducing yourself and saying an “interesting” (made up) fact about yourself. Like come on prof, haven’t you ever heard of an ice breaker?!

You planned on drinking every night but in reality, you’re drinking coffee at 9:30 p.m. because you have to write a “what do you plan on getting out of this course” reflection. 

We all got to release our “not sylly week” stress on Saturday night and tried to organize our whole life on Sunday. Trying to mentally prepare for group projects, 10 page papers, and the doom that is Monday morning takes a lot more than 24 hours. So when syllabus week doesn’t go as planned you need to tell yourself to relax now because in two weeks you’ll be pulling out your hair and crying into your wine glass. 

Hi! My name is Brennan Morell and I am a part of Bloomsburg Univerity's HerCampus team! When I am not writing for them you can find me cheering on the Huskies on the sideline or teaching dance at the Bloomsburg School of Dance in the mall!
I am a 23 year old senior at Bloomsburg University. I am a Mass Communications major on the telecommunications track and with a concentration in Public Relations.