This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bloom U chapter.

Ah, freshman year… I would do anything to go back to my own first year of college. Your first year of college is the starting point to a long and beautiful journey where you’ll experience everything from crazy parties, long nights in the library, finals weeks, new friends, unique clubs and extracurricular activities and of course a new you. Your freshman year is all about a fresh start – this isn’t high school anymore – and with our advice, HC Bloom can hopefully help you make the best of it.

Go to class. Going to school was always a must in high school and unless you had some chronic illness, your parents wouldn’t let you skip. Well, now you don’t live with your parents anymore which means no one is dragging you out of bed to go to class. This is a huge problem freshmen have with the amount of freedom they get when they leave their parents’ homes. But the reality of college is…you have to go to class. We know it can be a bummer when all your roommates are having fun in your dorm suite but trust me – I can’t even count on my fingers anymore of how many of my friends dropped out because they simply didn’t go to class. So bite the bullet and go…most of the time it’s only 50 minutes or an hour and 15 minutes… you’ll survive.

Get your work done early. It is always easier to just get your work done and over with so you have time to do what you want for the rest of the day. I am a huge procrastinator and it sucks when I push off papers until last minute and then there’s a huge party I want to go to but I can’t. So after class if you have homework or a paper, just get it out of the way so you can go play!

Learn how to do your own laundry, cook and clean. These are vital skills in college because mommy and daddy are not going to be there anymore to help you. You are going have to do soon anyway as you get older so just start preparing for this.

Get involved with extracurricular activities, such as Greek Life. There are so many opportunities to make friends in college and joining Greek Life, a club or a sport is the best way to ensure a good group of friends for life. I joined a sorority my freshman year and it was the best decision I have ever made. Bloomsburg offers a vast amount of clubs, too, such as anime club, theatre groups, club volleyball, Pokémon club, you name it! They have mostly any kind of club with people with the same interests as you, so don’t be afraid to check em out!

Explore all the benefits and clubs your major offers. The only regret I have in college is not getting as involved with my major during my own freshman year. It can be difficult to know what clubs and activities your major has to offer without researching it so ask around and join one. It will also help in the long run when you have gained more experience with your major at a younger age.

Avoid the “Freshman 15.” Yes, I am sorry, I am the bearer of bad news…the “Freshman 15” is not made up… it really happens. I am not saying it happens to everyone but the Commons buffet and late night pizza can really take a toll on your body. Thank goodness that BU tuition supplies amazing gym and recreational facilities so make sure to use them to your advantage!

Make mistakes. You’re only 18 years old. You are young, naïve and inexperienced. Now is the time to make mistakes and learn from them. Do not stress over the little things and remember that you have plenty of time to make even more mistakes. Every mistake is a lesson learned and you’ll be much wiser when you are a senior! Trust me, I have plenty of lessons I have learned from my dumb mistakes from freshmen year that I am so glad I made.

Live each day to the fullest. This is college! You only do this once in your lifetime (that is, if you don’t go to grad school). This is the time to party, make new friends, try new things and love every day for what it is. Have fun and enjoy it because you can ask anyone who graduated that college was one of the best thing that ever happened to them.

Take chances. Go out of your comfort zone and try new things! This is the time to do it all and experience it all while you are young. While your education is the reason you’re in college, don’t forget to make time for parties. Life’s too short to do boring things and the same routine day after day. Break out of your shell and enjoy yourself!

Just be yourself.  College is all about a new start and a new you so love yourself and what makes you unique! Unlike high school, no one cares if you have a fancy car or a lot of money, most collegiettes just want to meet the real you. This is your experience, so make it your own!

I am senior at Bloomsburg University with a major in Journalism and a minor in Anthropology! I am currently the president of Alpha Sigma Alpha which is a national sorority and I am a contributing writer for my university's newspaper the Voice. I am very involved with my sorority and the vast amount of community service we do every semester. When I am not busy with my sorority or with school work, I enjoy to work out, cook delicious healthy meals, play with my two cats Cash and Benny, and hang with my friends!
Kathryn is a loquacious and driven senior at Bloomsburg University studying English. Journalism has been her focus for almost eight years and she's slightly excited but mostly petrified of exploring her career options in a few short months. She can be found roaming the halls of Bakeless, yelling into the abyss in BU's student newspaper The Voice's office or making pancakes for her roommates.Check out her personal blog and her study abroad blog.